Suspensions on turntable...really effective?

Been wondering about this, so did some research, but was surprised I couldn't find any that categorically says that turntable suspensions really isolate/substantially reduce outside vibrations, resonances, etc.

Any reference out there you can point out?

Cheers
diamondears
diamondears, I use a Project Perspex that has magnetic suspension and their carbon 9cc tonearm and am very satisfied  with it  on the acoustic music I listen too. But at only 1800$ I'm sure it's a non-starter for many .
A question on magnetic suspension -

I can see how it might be effective for lateral vibrations, but how about vertical vibrations? Once the magnets are strong enough to support the weight of the table assembly would they then not then be stiff in the vertical plane, thus transmit any vertical vibrations?

As you may guess, I’m not an engineer.
One problem I have with mag lev suspension is that the heavier the object isolated the more powerful the magnets required.  But we know that magnetic fields are bad for the sound especially in proximity to low level signals.  For that reason I'm out. Of course the other objection is the very slippery nature of the opposing magnets doing the levitating.  It is impossible to stop the top plate from moving laterally without putting uh stops in.
Actually, magnetic suspensions on the tables I have seen are effective only in the vertical direction.  The platter is held in place by a spindle in a vertical bearing.  There is virtually NO movement permitted horizontally by that bearing.  The magnets support the platter only allowing for up and down motion.  If you press down on the platter it moves downward, but, the magnets act like a spring.  The farther the platter is displaced downward, the closer the magnets move and the greater the opposing force, and hence the force trying to restore the platter to the equilibrium position (like a spring).
With all due respect to the OP, the question posed is a bad one from a scientific point of view; it cannot be answered simply or with a simple experiment.  The responses that go in all possible directions so far are consistent with that fact.  The huge variety of turntable suspensions (also counting no-suspension as a form of suspension) offered in the marketplace is further evidence that there is no "correct" answer to the question.  In my opinion, those who try to develop suspensions for turntables must be very brave; it's a pit of snakes.  No matter what one does, there is a new problem that comes with it.  Personally, because of this, I favor unsuspended turntables, massive plinths, heavy duty shelving, concrete floors, etc.  If you can afford a Vibraplane or Minus K, they're probably superior to most built-in suspensions but not perfect.  For one "concrete" example, I've set up a second system in my basement, on the poured concrete flooring.  This did great things for image solidity and reducing spurious noises that can be produced when the needle is disturbed in the groove, with a Lenco that I had earlier auditioned in my "upstairs" system.

A few guys mentioned great bass from a Linn. While I can like the sound from a well set-up Linn, I always find the bass to sound "light", not to say lacking.  I've owned a SOTA Star Sapphire Series III; the bass was downright muddy, could as well have been due to belt stretching as to suspension flexing.  However, I do agree that later generation Sota's are better in this respect.