When rap came out 30 years ago I thought it was just a fad

Now it seems like it dominates the music industry, movies and fashion. My only question is why?

taters
@bdp24 @lowrider57 thanks. You are right the early Sugarhill gang "The message " was an important song that talked about social ills in America. Run DMC "Hard Times" was another song. Kurtis Blow "If I ruled the World" Too Short's"The Ghetto" all of these songs brought awareness to the social ills and problems in America at that time that were being ignored.  Like I said before I can tell when people actually know the music that's in the genre.  Yes rap has changed and we have fewer of the the socially conscious rappers that we had in the past. Rap at one time was a poor mans CNN.     It told real stories about what was happening in America.  It railed hard against censorship and over reaching powers of our government. People who know real rap history know that.  People who don't hate it just to hate it and have no social awareness of the earlier positive affects it had in American Culture. Small minded group think at its best. Anyway thanks for your input fellas. Enjoy your music. 
Extramusical associations have nothing whatsoever to do with intrinsic musical value. Musical value is not tied to historical or cultural value--they are separate things.   And people who don't know real rap history don't necessarily hate it just to hate it.  More sweeping and unfair blanket statements.  You and I are equally entitled to dislike any music, food, what-have-you.  I'm half Italian and I don't think you're anti-Italian if you don't like Rossini or lasagne.  It just means it doesn't appeal to you.  I am so sick of the social media "haters gonna hate" B.S. that gets trotted out anytime someone doesn't like something or somebody.  You don't have a clue as to what is in the hearts and minds of the people you are accusing of being haters.
bdp24: I'm waiting for a revival of "Springtime for hitler" in hip-hop! O baby!

Right nonoise, Mostel and Wilder were much better in the movie (a favorite of mine) than the two guys were in the Broadway show, imo.

The show I referred to above is entitled "Hamilton", and the writer and main-character performer is Lin-Manuel Miranda, born in NYC to first generation Puerto Rican immigrants, both who came across as very intelligent and articulate in the 60 Minutes segment (he's a musician, she a teacher, I believe). Lin-Manuel showed signs of musical talent at an early age, so his parents put him in a school for gifted children, where he found his thing---musicals. He went on to college and got a degree, and had one play (which won some awards---his first play!) under his belt when on a vacation read a biography of Alexander Hamilton by American history authority Ron Chernow. Lin thought it would make a great play, so sat down and wrote one---story, music, and lyrics.

And it's great! I like Rap and Hip Hop no more than most of you other older white guys (I don't even know what constitutes and differentiates Rap from Hip Hop!), but I loved what I heard in the 60 Minutes footage from the Broadway stage. A soundtrack recording was mentioned, so I'm going to check it out. Join me!