When rap came out 30 years ago I thought it was just a fad

Now it seems like it dominates the music industry, movies and fashion. My only question is why?

taters
bdp24: I'm waiting for a revival of "Springtime for hitler" in hip-hop! O baby!

Right nonoise, Mostel and Wilder were much better in the movie (a favorite of mine) than the two guys were in the Broadway show, imo.

The show I referred to above is entitled "Hamilton", and the writer and main-character performer is Lin-Manuel Miranda, born in NYC to first generation Puerto Rican immigrants, both who came across as very intelligent and articulate in the 60 Minutes segment (he's a musician, she a teacher, I believe). Lin-Manuel showed signs of musical talent at an early age, so his parents put him in a school for gifted children, where he found his thing---musicals. He went on to college and got a degree, and had one play (which won some awards---his first play!) under his belt when on a vacation read a biography of Alexander Hamilton by American history authority Ron Chernow. Lin thought it would make a great play, so sat down and wrote one---story, music, and lyrics.

And it's great! I like Rap and Hip Hop no more than most of you other older white guys (I don't even know what constitutes and differentiates Rap from Hip Hop!), but I loved what I heard in the 60 Minutes footage from the Broadway stage. A soundtrack recording was mentioned, so I'm going to check it out. Join me!

Tostadosunidos,

As usual you're comments are right on. It's nice to see someone with some common sense. Thanks again.

Music touches the soul and has meaning. For most people music is not for just listening but for hip hop it was and has been a movement. It's storytelling the beat of the drum and creating the rhythm. Rap doesn't have to justify that it's music to anyone it's music to a movement. Don't worry about it learn to like it.  You are going to hear it playing whether you want to or not. Lol.  The Beauty of it all is that this "fad" doesn't want or need the acceptance certain kind of so called music lovers.  It actually shuns them and revels in the joy of not being accepted. Gonna last another 30 years ago. I guess the next thread will be "60 years ago I thought it was a fad my question is why?" Get ready to ask it again in 2045!!! It's a rap thing you wouldn't understand.