Audio - Post Divorce

Audio has definitely been more fun and rewarding post-divorce. No more keeping equipment in the trunk of my car waiting for my wife to leave the house so I could sneak the gear in because once its in the rack, she never ever noticed it.

I also have a greater appreciation of music and can definitely live with a lot less. I also believe that after you go through life's trials and tribulations and difficulties, whether it's a death in the family, loss of job, surviving cancer, divorce or other life's hardships you definitely get to appreciate things much more.

Please feel free to share if you can relate to this or if you can't. Thanks for reading :)
128x128lou_setriodes

Rich,

So sorry to hear of your Grandson.  My parents lost a son three years ago at 57 and it's never easy.  Hang in there.  I've found you never really heal, you just learn to live with it......

Having said that, I look forward to 2016 being a great year regardless of politics and the craziness of the world......good listening, enjoy the music.

I find myself recently divorced. I'm out of a bad relationship, which is good. I am out of my home of 22 years, which isn't good. My stereo system is in my new living room which really is set up to optimize my listening pleasure which is good. And though it was not really my initial intent, since being divorced and on my own, my system has evolved quite a bit and sounds terrific.

I have as yet to embrace hi rez digital, though I have a great DAC and my phone cartridge was is probably about 15 years old. These are things to work on. 

All told, would I prefer my great system or a devoted and loving wife? If I could choose just one, I'll take the loving and devoted wife. But frankly, I don't believe in the choose just one scenario. 
Being an audiophile came naturally to me as I'm also a trumpet player and an engineer (Linux systems).  Been doing audio since Nixon was prez.  I married a professional violinist.  The bow we bought her a few years ago cost $12,000.  Not the violin.  The violin bow...

My whole rig, which I think is truly wonderful, plus all of my horns, together costs less than her violin bow.

It's easy.  Get a wife who loves music as much as you do and doesn't freak out when you drop $1500 on a tube preamp.  That's all.
What a thread. Funny and tragic all at the same time. 

Divorce sucks! Being alone after 35 years of marriage sucks! The way divorce screws up the family dynamic sucks! The hole in your heart sucks! 

On the bright side, 17 years of being single makes one a great cook, a lousy dresser around the house and a music collection that is taking up way too much space. Oh ... and you can sleep with your socks on. 
Get a girlfriend (not a wife). Live in separate houses. Buy her a good rig (or two) and keep buying her CDs. Make sure that you own music that she loves. Problem solved.