Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

die Phänomenologie des geist; we need to reflect the reasons for our reasons, the goals behind our goals; therefore, the real progress of any person, a given society and humanity is not to be reduced to merely 'technical progress' (tools, means, at any level) but on a more basic level. Progress requires an improving reflection and understanding upon all goals.

What are your goals Schubert?
0-10
At 81 my goal is what God intended it to be , to give wise advice to fools in as loving a manner as possible .

God bless you and yours .
Calvinj-

the (4) cornerstones of Jazz are from the year 1959;

Miles Davis- Kind of Blue-
Charles Mingus- Ah Um
Ornette Coleman- The shape of Jazz to come
Dave Brubeck- Time Out

Honorable mention- John Coltrane "Giant Steps".
these discs will get you started in the right Jazz direction.
Just finally caught up on reading the last week and a half of this thread.  Wow.  Most of what I would add has already been said by Frogman, Schubert, and Alexatpos.   

To Rok - the differences here are NOT "irreconcilable."  The reason you think they are is that you are stubbornly resistant to educating yourself more on the subject.  I think it is very important to reiterate that NO ONE is criticizing your listening choices, or saying you are wrong about what you like listening to.  What is objected to is when you attempt to argue about something you clearly have no idea about as if you did, and your refusal to improve your state of ignorance, which is a real shame in someone who loves it like you clearly do.  It is simply not possible to argue effectively about something that you do not really know about, and this is painfully obvious to everyone who does know about the subject in question.   Everyone who has educated themselves more about music is telling you that their enjoyment of listening has been increased.  Not one single person has said that they regret learning more, or that it did not increase their enjoyment.   Don't you think, then, that there might be something to it?  Frogman has pointed out that all of your heroes, Wynton, etc., most certainly agree that the visceral experience is only a part of the whole.  So why are you so resistant to the idea?  

For some reason, when checking in on this thread, I'm always (or most always anyway) reminded about the Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby story. :-)