Question for you Denon DL-103 folks

Hi folks,

I recently bought a new Rega RP1 and I love it. This turntable is begging for a good cartridge, as it comes with the Rega Carbon (a re-branded AT), which is a passable basic cartridge but falls wayyy short of what this table can do. I’m temporarily going to swap it out for my Grado Black +, but I do not intend to use it over the long term.

I’ve been researching cartridges in the sub-$500 range, and the choices are endless. One cartridge that has captured my interest is the Denon DL-103. The reason why this cartridge appeals to me is that, based on what I’ve read, it leans a bit to the warm side, in addition to being a superb performer for the price.  I bring up "warm" because I’m using a Parasound Z-Phono, a Rotel preamp, and a Musical Fidelity power amp to run my Magnepans. The last thing I need is a bright or dry-sounding cartridge.   I also read a review where they said it worked fantastic with their Rega tonearm.  

Because I’m not planning on buying a new phono stage, or a step-up transformer, you guys can probably figure out why I’m asking for opinions/advice. My Z-Phono, which I enjoy quite a bit, has MC gain of 61db, and the minimum recommended gain for the DL-103 is 60db. Would it be risky to buy this cartridge and hope that it works with the Z-Phono? Does anybody have any input here, or recommendations for MM cartridges that are similar in sound characteristics to the DL-103? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
easybigfella
Yes Lewm, the M20FL Super. I believe mine (gold body) was produced around '79. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is when I bought it. 
lewm and smc, the M20FL Super was one of the MMs touted in Raul's very long post on MM cartridges, a few years ago when Raul was still held in high esteem by most Audiogon readers. ;^)  Actually, I don't remember now if Raul was the one making favorable comments on that Ortofon or another responder?

But I'm curious Lew why you would refer to the M20FL Super as "such an unpretentious cartridge"?  Many models recommended in that post were/are available for very modest money, compared to many popular new cartridges.  And it had a modern nude, fine line stylus, so why single out the Ortofon as unpretentious?

Like several others there I ended up buying several recommended MM cartridges since many were inexpensive.  In fact I accumulated so many I've still not listened to them all, including the Ortofon.  So I'm sorry I can't offer further impressions.  However, mine has a silver body, rather than gold. 

pryso, yes, that’s where I first read about the M20FL. Raul mentioned it fairly early then moved on. It did have a group of loyal supporters despite all of the cartridge of the week bouncing around people were doing.
I’ve been using DL103R low out MC with my Linn Axis for years and think that setup is the cat’s meow in terms of overall musicality (the best I have ever had and I’ve gone through many quality budget cart setups over the years) and would have to spend a lot to do better in that regard.

Others might have more exact experience but if the DL103 maches up within reason on paper, and the tone arm is at least moderate mass, I can easily recommend to give it a try.
Instead of spending money on a cartridge I recommend you upgrade the tonearm. Audiomods or Basis tonearms are drop in replacements for the "good for the money" Rega tonearm.