Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Alex, you have made some extremely thoughtful and open-minded posts recently. You addressed many of the issues which have been the source of contention on this thread, and I find it impressive that you did it while, at the same time, acknowledging your personal preferences and the possibility of new understanding. I promised you a response to a couple of your thought provoking comments:

****and why they value the idea behind the music more than its aestetchics (correct me if I am wrong)****

The overall premise of your entire comment is entirely fair and correct. However, I will correct you on this one piece of it. It is not that we value the "idea" more than the "aesthetics". This would presume that we value the aesthetics of more modern styles of jazz less than that of the more traditional styles; speaking for myself, I do not. The best explanation can be found in a recent comment by Newbee, the idea that

****musicians don’t have a chronological anchor****

What I believe Newbee means and which is entirely correct is that, as has been often said, there are only two kinds of music, good and bad. The place of any given music in the chronological landscape (style) is not important; whether it is composed/performed with integrity and at a high level of craft is. In other words, most musicians find aesthetic value in Benny Goodman’s Sextet as they do Bird, Miles or in Brad Mehldau. To dismiss one or the other as "soulless" or "too intellectual" says much more about the listener than it says about the music.

****Also, I think, by learning and later perhaps knowing or recognising ’their point’ can open the whole new world in appreciating the music that now stays beyond our understanding.****

EXACTLY! And the point that I’ve tried to make countless times and to which there has been much resistance. No one has ever suggested that there is anything wrong with having a preferred style; we all do. To not have a "chronological anchor" does not mean that the chronology should be ignored; quite the opposite. To appreciate and understand the chronology is the key to understanding the evolution of the music, the inevitability of the changing styles and why and how it got to where it’s today. As has also often been said: Art reflects the times; whether we like what it’s says or not is a separate matter.

All this leads to something that I feel needs to be cleared up re a comment made by Rok in response to my comment that "musicians are teachers by nature". I will speak for myself; but I think that I can speak for Learsfool also. We never set out to "teach" anyone. Like everyone else, from the start of my participation on this thread I wanted to share music and discuss topics that may come up. The problem always arises when disagreement that is backed by verifiable information becomes a major bone of contention and rancor ensues. There has been just as much vehement "disagreement" by those in the "subjective" camp as there has been by those in the "objective" camp. Yet, when the objectivist offers explanations backed by verifiable data all hell breaks loose. Seems to me that this is simply a way to shut up the dissenting voice. The only alternative then would become to not have dialogue at all; an unfortunate situation in my view. An exchange between Acman3 and Rok is a good example:

** Study the origins of Bebop, then come back. They were studying everyday what the classical composers of their time were doing.*****

This is what is called ’wishful thinking’ .

(1) Name me some classical music that you can point to and say, "this is the origin of be-bop". If anything, 20th century Classical Composers stole from Jazz.****

Well, what to do if there is to be dialogue about this? One could ignore the fact that there is truth to what Acman3 is saying and leave the matter in the realm of "opinion". Or, one can ask the question: Where does Rok think that the concepts of harmony in jazz came from if not from the European "Classical" tradition? (teach?😁) Of course, there has to be at least a minimal understanding of what harmony is if this is to make sene. If one ignores the facts then it becomes easy to fit all that one WANTS music to be into our own personal agenda for it.

Anyway, Alex, please continue posting thoughtful comments and I am glad you are participating. One of my very favorite lesser known tenor players, and one of those sessions that one gets the feeling that all the stars aligned.  Blue Mitchell is absolutely brilliant on this record:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLB2C2CCC049C7989B&v=SRFhsMvWKmM

Frogman, Perhaps Rok was thinking about Shostakovitch when he said 20th century classical composers stole from jazz.    Actually I think his attempts to compose 'jazz'  might be more accurate, especially his jazz suites, which while pleasant enough don't really float my boat. I'm not aware of other quotes from 'jazz' in his music but I'd be surprised if they don't exist. Composers and performers of all styles of music have been quoting each other's music and style since a man in Africa started beating a log with a stick. :-)
*****  Composers and performers of all styles of music have been quoting each other's music and style since a man in Africa started beating a log with a stick. :-)*****

This most likely is very true.  Keeping in mind that in order to quote something, you have to have heard it.  In fact I posted something very similar to this a while back.  

If you want to say all music has a common source,(Humans)  I have no problem with that.  But humans have been around a lot longer than the 'European classical tradition'.

But, I have never heard anyone say that Beethoven's Ninth can be traced back to that log being struck.  But I am sure folks in some circles will say that's where 'Satin Doll' originated.  Man on a mission.

Cheers
Shostakovitch Jazz Suites:

I posted this a few weeks ago.  The most interesting thing about this music is that the composer considered it Jazz.  This begs the question, where did he get his concept of Jazz?  Not from Pops I would wager. This says a lot about what we talk about often on this thread i.e.   "what is, and what is not Jazz.

I am absolutely sure, that as far as he was concerned, the music qualified as Jazz by some definition to which he had been exposed / taught .  

The guy also turned against other composers in order to please Stalin.   Many of his peers went to the gulag, or the wall.

Cheers

***** Where does Rok think that the concepts of harmony in jazz came from if not from the European "Classical" tradition? *****

We are not talking about harmonic concepts, we are talking about Jazz.  Unless you are saying "harmonic Concepts" is the definition of Jazz.

BTW, I don't Alex agrees with you as much as you think.

Welcome back.

Cheers