Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
*****  Composers and performers of all styles of music have been quoting each other's music and style since a man in Africa started beating a log with a stick. :-)*****

This most likely is very true.  Keeping in mind that in order to quote something, you have to have heard it.  In fact I posted something very similar to this a while back.  

If you want to say all music has a common source,(Humans)  I have no problem with that.  But humans have been around a lot longer than the 'European classical tradition'.

But, I have never heard anyone say that Beethoven's Ninth can be traced back to that log being struck.  But I am sure folks in some circles will say that's where 'Satin Doll' originated.  Man on a mission.

Cheers
Shostakovitch Jazz Suites:

I posted this a few weeks ago.  The most interesting thing about this music is that the composer considered it Jazz.  This begs the question, where did he get his concept of Jazz?  Not from Pops I would wager. This says a lot about what we talk about often on this thread i.e.   "what is, and what is not Jazz.

I am absolutely sure, that as far as he was concerned, the music qualified as Jazz by some definition to which he had been exposed / taught .  

The guy also turned against other composers in order to please Stalin.   Many of his peers went to the gulag, or the wall.

Cheers

***** Where does Rok think that the concepts of harmony in jazz came from if not from the European "Classical" tradition? *****

We are not talking about harmonic concepts, we are talking about Jazz.  Unless you are saying "harmonic Concepts" is the definition of Jazz.

BTW, I don't Alex agrees with you as much as you think.

Welcome back.

Cheers

Rok, there is no way I'm going to respond to anything, the "wire worshipers" utter. If I had not seen your post, I wouldn't be responding today; as a matter of fact, this post is not in response to anything.

Mary Lou Williams was one of the greatest musicians ever. She had almost no formal training; at age 3 she picked out a melody while sitting on her mothers lap. She began earning money at the age of 6, when she was known as "The little piano girl"

Duke Ellington said,"Mary Lou Williams is perpetually contemporary, her music retains and maintains a standard of quality that is timeless. She is like soul on soul". I could write a book about Mary Lou's qualities as a jazz musician, but I would rather present some of her music and let you be the judge.

Yesterday, I received her CD, "Black Christ Of The Andes", and it's as awesome as any jazz written today;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNd-X2uMM1k

What is your opinion of this timeless music.

Enjoy the music.
Rok, Re Beethoven's connection to my African log beater - think 'rhythm'. Ludwig really understood the use of rhythm. It dominates his music - its what really grabs your attention, especially in his 5th, 7th, and 9th, in particular, I think. That's what makes much of his music so humable.