Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Al we share a common link in owning Carver products. In medical school, I "upgraded" to a used Bob Carver Phase Linear 700 amp. Well it certainly did make my Klipsch Cornwalls play LOUD ! I am not sure about all of his design skills, but he was one of the best self promoters out there. It would be interesting to tally how many companies he has started and then folded.

I think the ringing in my ears finally subsided when I bought my first
SET amp (Art Audio PX-25) in 2008! It took me a long time to overcome the audio dealers party line of the 1970's - bigger amps give bigger sound, no matter what the efficiency or type of speaker is used.

Thank goodness for the internet where approaches to a satisfying musical system can be discussed from multiple points of view.

Since this amp under discussion is a Carver product,
 is there a fuse made that has a built in fire extinguisher? 

A few of the Phase Linear 700 amplifiers could have used a fuse with that feature !

David Pritchard
Yes, David, as you no doubt realize Carver's 1970s Phase Linear Corporation has often been referred to as "Flame Linear."  But believe it or not the Carver Corporation M400t I mentioned that I purchased around 1982 is still going strong in the home of a relative.

The predecessor M400a model that I mentioned I previously very briefly owned (I couldn't wait to get rid of it), did often manifest a very prominent glare in the treble region, among other sonic shortcomings.  Which I can imagine would have induced ringing in the ears of many listeners.  That and most of its other shortcomings, though, were completely eliminated in the M400t.  At least, as I said, when it was used with easy to drive speakers.

Regards,
-- Al

is there a fuse made that has a built in fire extinguisher?

I don't think so, but there is one that comes with a 30 day free psychologist.

Cheers George
"further down and a bit to the right, just under where the power cord emerges from the panel, the photos I’ve looked at say something like "for continued fire protection use original fuse type and rating only of MDA-10."
Al, I appreciate your research into the correct type of fuse. I didn't see the instruction on the back of the amp since I have a conduit on that shelf to separate cables.

My first move will be to pick up some Bussman MDA-10 fuses and return the amp to baseline. Thanks again for the info.

BTW, all contacts on my amp were cleaned not very long ago, and I will clean the fuse holder.

Lowrider, it looks like the MDA-10 may have been superseded by the MDA-10-R, which is very similar except that it is lead-free and complies with the European RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) requirements.

As you may have noticed at the link I provided for the MDA-10 Digikey has no stock under that part number, but that page refers to the MDA-10-R as being an RoHS compliant replacement, and the technical specs on the two parts look very similar. The page for the MDA-10-R shows thousands as being in stock, for $1.58 each in small quantities.

Digikey is a distributor of electronic parts, mainly serving industry. But they have no minimum purchase requirement for most items (apparently including this fuse, since a quantity 1 price is indicated for it), and every transaction I have had with them over the years has been prompt and flawless.

Best regards,
-- Al