Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Alex, thanks for keeping things light and for bringing some humor to the proceedings here.  Your clip asks an interesting question.  I think the answer is best left for experts in a different field.  Personally, I don't understand why measured and polite disagreement about one aspect of Jazz needs to go into the realm where a person feels that the disagreement is meant to be "destructive" of him.  The psychology of all this is best left for others; but, for me, and to the extent that there can be an air of "friendship" on an Internet forum, it is a little sad.  

O-10, you are so far off base with your assesments of my motivations that it's probably hopeless as it has been in the past when things have come to a place like this.  I continue to feel that this disagreement could be the stuff of really great discussion, but again, in spite of the fact that it was you who opened the door and welcomed in disagreement, you are not willing to consider any disagreement and drag things down into the mud.  Please read over my comments again if you care; there are NO hidden meanings in any of them.  Why you insist on making that assumption, well......best to keep the focus on the music.  

The disagreement has to do with the acknowledgment (or not) of the idea that jazz has been, is and always will be evolving.  If we acknowledge that then there is, not only no reason to disagree, but no need to keep musical matters in the shallow range of simply who is best, who is "King", etc.. Can anyone possibly think that there will be agreement on that?  Not only is there no chance of agreement, it keeps the discussion away from the juicy stuff (like the notion that "Bird could have played anything that Coltrane did").  

Some interesting (for me) dot connection: 

Acman3, in the same spirit that Alex alluded to in his most recent contribution, posted some very funny clips of Gene Dancing Machine from the old "Gong Show" recently.  As I'm sure others noticed also, the house band backing up Gene sounded great; especially the trumpet player who was playing some really good bebop solos.  I set out to find out who that player was.  It was Bob Findley, one of two legendary LA jazz/studio trumpet playing brothers (the other is the great Chuck Findley).  Finding this out brought to mind a record that he plays on that I like very much.  Alex, I have always loved Vince Guaraldi.  Great clips and your description of his style is right on.  I love the unabashed feel good, relaxed attitude in his playing; no hint of pretense or self importance.  No surprise that his music for the "Peanuts" series is probably his best known work.  The record that I refer to is unfortunately not available on YouTube; it is David Frishberg's aptly titled (for the moment) "Getting Some Fun Out Of Life".   In a somewhat different style, Frishberg has a very similar attitude in his playing (and singing) which made me think of your Guaraldi clips.  Fortunately, other things available on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EBbt3C1Y_mQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N7hxDaJhnYs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aNBj8xP83_s

Acman, I've never heard this one; it's simplicity personified, "We don't need no more trouble". The lyrics and the music make you want to hang out on the beach under a coconut tree with some loving company.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, if Trane were alive today, he wouldn't even back up your statement in regard to "Bird". I'm beginning to wander if you can really hear jazz, because apparently you haven't heard "Bird".

Have you read Miles Bio? Do you have any idea why "Bird" is idolized over Trane? Do you have any idea why "all" the jazz giants idolize "Bird"?

If Trane himself would not back up any of your statements where you place him over "Bird", then you must be lost in the woods.

If there had not been a "Charles Parker" there would not be a John Coltrane; he started out imitating "Bird" note for note; now what does that say about who's boss?

The proof of the pudding lies in the listening; some can hear, some can not; jazz is a very special music where you have to listen deeply to a number of phases intently to hear what musicians in each phase are doing. If you came into jazz exclusively in the "Coltrane Era", you may not be able to hear all the things "Bird" did.

Enjoy the music.