Power Cable DIY - Please advise

Hi,

Im planning on building a pair of DIY power cables, I have shortlisted a few cables and connectors, please feel free to recommend which one to purchase.

Furutech FP TCS31
Acoustic Revive Powermax 10000
Acrolink ???
NeoTech NEP 3200

connectors... Furutech FI 28/E38 or FI50 gold or rhodium??

Thanks in Advance
narcissus

I have two systems, a computer audio system upstairs and my main home theater system. In the home theater, I am actually using the rhodium plated FI-52 for all my primary amps because it was the only 20 AMP IEC (C19) connector that was pure copper. I use rhodium FI-50 IEC for my Krell processor and rhodium FI-28 IEC for surrounds (as well as anything upstairs). I’m using  rhodium FI-28 for the male plugs everywhere. Upstairs computer audio has a Belkin power conditioner that everything plugs into (I use it as a master switch as well). It’s a modified DAC, with a modified Rane stereo line mixer going to two Yamaha studio monitors.

Downstairs, I use a Furutech GTX rhodium outlet for the Krell processor. I’m currently using Furutech FPX-Cu outlets (un-plated copper) for all amps, but I will be converting to rhodium plated GTX or FPX in the next few months.

All my power cable is hand made. I use 20awg solid-core OCC copper conductors with Teflon coating (the Neotech chassis wire) for my power cords. Each power cord has eighteen 20awg conductors -- 6 conductors per leg (hot/neutral/ground). I braid all the conductors -- each braid has a hot/neutral/ground, so that makes 6 braids for a power cable, making it a 12awg power cable in total.

All my computer audio system equipment uses Furutech fuses. Downstairs, the Krell processor uses Furutech, but all my amps use Isoclean. I will be converting those amp fuses over to Furutech in the coming months.

I’ve gone through almost every power cord situation. Many years ago, I started with stock cables, then upgraded to cheap 12awg cables. Then went to DIY cables using stranded THHN 10awg copper from home depot. Using shielding/non-shielding. Tried different solid-core conductors (16awg, 18awg, 20awg, 22awg). Tried straight/twisting/braided (braided was the best as it calms down brightness and for some reason it just sounds "right" -- it also provides a natural shield because of the counter-rotating ground/neutral conductors) Tried Hubbel hospital outlets and Wattgate connectors until I determined the brass was causing a lot of sterile/shouty character. Tried different gold-plated and rhodium plated Neotech connectors. Tried gold-plated, rhodium-plated, un-plated Furutech. In the end, I think you get what you pay for, but component synergy is a big factor.

If you’re on a budget, you could try getting the brass PorterPorts as outlets and then use a Furutech gold-plated male plug to compensate for the fast/sterile character of the Porter. Then use a rhodium plated IEC. Further tweaking could mean trying an Isoclean fuse, or a Furutech rhodium fuse. The gold-plated male would probably equalize the very forward/fast/sterile character of the Porter outlets.

That is just an idea I think might work out based on my historical experience with different types of metals. I ended up with rhodium-plated all the way through. I believe this sounds the best, but it is also the most expensive.

The best connectors are Furotech...I use their top the line carbon with Neotech cable and find it better than any cable company's power cord.
@stringreen, can you please tell me, Which Neotech cable do you use currently & compared to what other cables in the past?
If you were to provide the components in your system (or post your virtual system), which components you are planning to power with the new cords and what budget range you are considering then folks could better advise. Otherwise, responses are likely to be all over the board.

My general response regarding DIY is that you can get a high bang-for-your-buck and, that for most ranges of components, potential differences are overrated so you can spend a lot of money that would be better spent on component upgrades. I would recommend heavier gauge conductors for power amps, and shielding cords for digital components, but not power amps. If you want bulk cable, Furutech FP-Alpha 3 is pretty good for power amps, and even preamps. Furutech FP-3TS20 is good for digital components. Both of those use Alpha-PCOCC stranded conductors. I have heard from an amplifier manufacturer that Furutech’s newer FP-S20N and FP-S35N cables with embedded nano particles are also quite good.

If you are on a tight budget, three twisted or braided Western Electric WE 10ga wires with Furutech FI-11(Cu) male and iec connectors (shielded for digital components) may be all you will need. There is a manufacturer that makes cords from this wire that are very well reviewed. Cost for two 6-foot cords using this wire would be in the ballpark of $300 if you can buy the connectors at a sale price - try Sonic Craft. Good luck.