Tube Physics Question

At least I think it's Physics. 

Short version:  Is it logical that going to a less powerful power tube in an amp can yield better dynamics?  What's the Physics behind tube design/operation and their ability to reproduce the swing of musical dynamics?  What part does bias play?

Longer version:  A couple of years ago I acquired a used tube amp for a second system.  It came with three sets of power tubes - the original KT88s, a set of Gold Lion KT88s and a set of Tung Sol KT120s.  The amp had been biased for the 120s, and those are what I used and have been happy with.  More power = better, right?

Recently I swapped out the speakers in that system for a more efficient and transparent pair.  While the change was nice and an obvious speaker upgrade, I started hearing a little edginess in the treble.  Since I'd never checked the bias I put a meter on it and found it low (avg ~12mV vs. a recommended 45-50mV for KT120s).  Running the pots up to max only reached ~35mV, but it did improve the sound.  Called the mfr and he said not to worry about a lower bias setting, as it made little difference.

Not content, I swapped out the KT120s for the Gold Lion KT88s, checked/reset bias to 35mV (recommended for 88s) and wow, what an improvement they made.  Without getting into a bunch of hyperbole, what was immediately and most noticeable was the increase in dynamics.  So my question is, what about the design/production and implementation of a tube affects its ability to reproduce dynamics?  Or is it more likely that running a lower power tube at relatively higher bias causes the effect?
tmcclintock

If a BMW has a Ford Cobra 500 hp engine installed in it, will it drive better, faster, or what?

Switching tube is more than matching the voltages.  Just because it fits in the socket doesn't mean it will work.

A KT120 or KT150 has a lot more 'horsepower' than a KT88.  If the amp you have is designed for X watt output and you now have X+2 or X+3 power tubes in it, you may well be over driving the output transformer and or demanding more 'juice' from the power supply that it can supply.  Both of these situations will not be ear pleasant.

Some mention that they can not get the bias pots to the desired mv reading when switching from KT88 to KT120 or KT150.  If you can not, then your tube is burning COLD and while that may make the tube last for 10 or 20 years it sounds ....cold, may even sound buzzy, and is running towards class B, or more simply to 'cut-off' of the power.  Not being able to bias to the recommended point (unless something is damaged) means that amp is not designed for that high an output.

If a BMW has a Ford Cobra engine installed in it, that BMW owner has too much free time.
The old AMC Gremlin with the 350 small block in it was a hoot, came that way from the factory. But I digress.
In high school oh so many years ago, my buddy had a Sunbeam Tiger w the 289 Shelby Cobra motor. The car was faster but unfortunately, the driver was not better.  He nearly killed us, and unfortunately, he did kill the car!