SUTs and Resistive Loading Questions

Hello, I have a few questions about SUTs and adding parallel resistors to reduce the load impedance.

I have a SUT with a 1:15 turns ratio. As we know, the load for a 1:15 SUT through a MM/47,000 phono preamp would be: 47,000/15/15 = 209 ohms.

However, I want a load impedance of 100 ohms for the MC cart I'm using. To calculate the value of the resistor I need to add in parallel to do so:

100 ohms = Z/15/15 for a SUT with a 1:15 turns ratio. Solving for Z = 22,500 ohms.

Resistor Value Needed = 1/((1/22,500 ohms) - (1/47,000 ohms)) = 43,164 ohms.

So now, my questions...

If my phono preamp has a 100 ohms load setting, can I use that (instead of the 47,000 ohms setting and the above calculations for adding parallel resistor) to essentially get the 100 ohms load impedance I want?

Also, is there any difference in damping using the first method versus the second method? I would think not, but not completely sure.

Thanks for your insight.

edwyun
Al, you are correct. I need to take into account the SUT with a 100 ohms setting on my phono preamp. But if you run the calculations as if loading on the secondary side, doesnt look like I will be able to do it - Id have to increase load, and that is a lot harder.
But if you run the calculations as if loading on the secondary side, the SUT’s affect is negligible.
I’m still not following you. If a 15:1 SUT is inserted between the cartridge and a 100 ohm phono stage input the cartridge will see a load of 0.4 ohms. (Approximately, that is, because additional effects such as DC resistance will become significant under such an extreme condition). And that would amount to putting a near short across the output of the cartridge, and would pretty much kill the signal it is trying to put out.

Regards,
-- Al

If you must use a SUT, you can either place a ~200R resistor on the primary side and no added resistance on the secondary side (47K only) or a ~43K resistor on the secondary side of the SUT, in parallel with 47K, to achieve a net 100R load.  However, I am puzzled when you say your phono stage affords the built-in option of 100R; that implies to me that it must have gain sufficient for at least some low output MC cartridges, in which case you might not need a SUT. Because 100R is not a load value one associates with high output, i.e., MM/MI cartridges.

But like Almarg says, you don't want to use BOTH the 100R setting AND the 1:15 SUT.
Dear @edwyun : "  In a prior setup, I did notice a difference between 100 versus 200 or 470 ohms ....Cart is Dyna 20x2L. "

The didifferences because loading is not much because the cartridge " reaction " tha's almost no sensitive to normal load changes. Those differences comes from the phono stage " reaction " to those loading changes.

Anyway,  you will follow making load changes till you are where you like it more.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.