Tips on dealing with audio dealers

Where I live we don't have stereo stores that handle high end audio equipment. So, I need some guidance. Can I order a preamp from an audio store and have it shipped to me? I know Mcintosh won't let you do that. Does Audio Research? How about prices? Are they set in stone or negotiable? I don't have a dealer and have never dealt with one so can some of you guys suggest a good one? I am considering the REF6 but for a good price I would consider a 5SE. I have heard there are a number of 5SE's for sale but I haven't run into any yet. Any advice you guys can give me would be helpful and much appreciated.
wemfan
You can try to negotiate on all MSRP prices.  It never hurts to ask.  I recommend creating a relationship with a small audio specialty shop that deals with manufacturers that you are interested in.  I was able to get a substantial discount just by asking for one.  If you are looking to make additional purchases from that dealer in the future than you can even ask for a higher discount by just telling them that you are a repeat customer and that you respect the service that they have given you.  One has to be careful though - once I had the bait and switch line played on me.  They quoted me a price that was twice as high of the ball park that I was expecting and then they tried to direct me to a lower quality product.  One thing that helps it to try to figure out their sales volumes.  A home builder type boutique type of shop doesn't make much profit but a small to medium sized business even with low volumes but sells  world wide can have a huge markup in their products.  One thing for sure is that don't be afraid to call around to get pricing information and go ahead and ask about discounts up front.  If you are sure you want to purchase that product, then tell them that you are a serious buyer and not just window shopping (wasting their time).  Keep in mind that people need to earn a living as well so in all sense, be fair.
Try Audio Classics, Vestal NY. I've recently bought amp, 2 sets of speakers and media server from them (all Mac) remotely and was extremely well served both in service and price. I'd go back to them. Mike Sastra was most accommodating and excellent to deal with.
John Iconomou @ Audio Salon in Coral Gables FL. is one of the classiest dealers I've ever encountered.  He carries ARC and many other fine lines and often has used inventory since he also takes trades!
If its ten Grand , mark up can be 60% depending on the company , """BUT""  Do not forget service in which the dealer should !  but not always provide . If you buy online you could get Fucked . Its happen to me . Like all the other listings suggest a relation with local dealer could be best option . Problems occur  you can walk in confront them . Please be care full, use credit card for a deposit ! get warranties and delivery time in Writing! And be ready for the Mail box all full up recording . You could luck out