Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

Good to see you- jon_5912

I am impressed that there is a FB page for our beloved speakers.

Happy Listening!

miyu...

I don't find your AR/Thiel setup a mismatch at all. In the past I ran a couple of AR preamps, an LS2, then an LS2b, and an LS 3, and I found each to mate exceptionally with my Thiels. 

My listening levels are conservative to say the least.  My CS2.2's were played with a 35 watt per channel integrated amp - the beginning of my suffering from a chronic, then undiagnosed, case of severe audiophilia.  There is no cure, besides, the disease is fun. 

Remaining high on my list of manufacturers that seem to have an affinity for Thiel are Acoustic Research, Balanced Audio Technology, Pass Labs, Threshold. Of these my top choices are Pass and AR.  

I'm currently digging my Simaudio 340i integrated with my 3.6's, my quest to "dumb down" from all the wiring and procedural complexities encountered with separates. So far, so good.  

Turn it on, turn it up!
The amp currently employed for my Thiel 2.4s is a 100 watt per channel VAC PA100/100 that was upgraded a few years ago. With the choice of an 8, 4, or 2 ohm speaker tap off the transformers this amp performs amazingly well and with Audience 24AU SE cabling the system sounds sublime.  My curiosity is getting the best of me about more power and this has led me to arrange a home audition of an Ayre VX-5 "twenty" starting this afternoon for a couple of days.  Should be fun.
miyu...

I agree with oblgny. The AR/Thiel setup is NOT a mismatch. I think there is a misconception that lower powered tube amps can't drive the Thiels. I have driven my 3.6s with the AR VSi60 and the Ref75 with excellent results. I am now very satisfied with my AR Ref150. I have ventured into solid state Bryston and Krell amps, but I have come back to the tubes and I have no plans to change.

Man, I had some good listening last night...Nicky, Ruth and Heather's voices on The Wailin' Jennys "40 Days" album is absolutely stunning. Their voices are so distinctly focused on the soundstage and blend so seamlessly!

@prof @jafant Don't believe I'm doxing him, but Larry was Director of Sales, and Marketing at Thiel Audio ~2000.  He's mentioned the positions in other threads on here.

With respect to the 2.4SE numbers: according to Rob's memory they made ~200 of the 300 run.  The paperwork is lost which is why the number is inexact.  Sounds like everything went to hell, with the closing of the original Lexington, KY location, and the laid-off staff walking out unceremoniously.  Also, it doesn't appear the speakers were "buttoned up" sequentially either, which could lead to the situation of my pair (181, 182) being the last to leave the factory and yet, not be the highest numbered ones.

I wonder if it's worth putting together a Signature Edition Registry, to see what numbers are out there, and their location?

Cheers,
Warren