Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
robinbarour,

Thanks....though your comments on the 2.7  bass sounded promising...right up until you mentioned you use a sub with them.  It's no wonder you find the bass satisfying  ;-)

BTW,

Auditioned the Raidho C 1.2 monitors today.  They would normally be prohibitively expensive but a dealer has a great demo pair deal so I gave them a listen.

Very nice high end frequencies in terms of smoothness combined with subtle detail - open, lifelike, while not too bright (generally).  Bass quite surprisingly big and impactful from a monitor.   Decent soundstaging.

But...didn't care for them over all.  Tonally I found them somewhat bleached and bland.  They also sounded somewhat sculpted (as they actually are) with a BBC-like dip, which made lots of vocals and orchestral music sound naturally smooth, but showed up as a more obvious tonal and dynamic reticence elsewhere: for instance drum snares, rim shots I knew to have excellent presence in other more neutral speakers like the Thiels were dulled and made more distant.  Acoustic guitar finger picking  attack was made too polite - one classical guitar piece by John Williams which has shows tons of effort and energy on the Thiels and some other speakers sounded weakened and far less exciting on the Raidhos.  Also, even when there's significant (apparent) bass extension there's something about a small monitor trying to sound big that I never quite buy. 

Once I got home and played all the same tracks on the 3.7s I was amazed by how much better I thought the whole presentation was - clarity, organic quality, control, imaging, dynamics...just everything seemed better.  Played the same John Williams guitar track and it simply sounded more like a real guitar in front of me, being played enthusiastically.  It seems to me Jim Thiel didn't have to sculpt the frequency range to make for smooth sound - the 3.7s just are smooth, yet full and exciting at the same time.
Jim Thiel was one of the best, if not the best speaker designers!  In a way, under appreciated.  Yet as time goes by, he is justifiably getting his due more and more.  If he had lived longer, Vandersteen would still be in the rear view mirror.  My opinion of course.  Best......
"Moving up" the Thiel line as I have - 2.2's, 2.3's, 3.5's, and now 3.6's - does not necessarily infer that each was an improvement over the former inasmuch it does infer that each is rather different from the former, if not by definition "better".  

The most immediately remarkable impressions were experienced from the 2.2's to the 3.5's - each had what the previous model had with a dash of mo' better everything tossed in. 

The difference between the 3.5's and 3.6's is, with the 3.6's, a more pronounced, perhaps forward midrange that, to my ears, seems to soften the notably crisp highs of  Thiel  in general. This is not to say that the highs are suffered by any means, nor is the low frequency 
response. The few low-end hertzes I was willing to sacrifice with the 3.6's mattered not a whit; the bass is palpable, tangible, there's an appreciable sense of timbre and naturalness. I can't even imagine a need for a sub. No, sir. 

Me no likey subs. 

Thus far I've found that the 3.6's show their finest at a volume level a little higher than I normally prefer. And it's there that everything pours forth - the music is felt, defined, passing "the other room" test, causing me to re-enter the living room and think, "what a genius I am to have found these speakers."

Many contributors to this thread have been fortunate enough to purchase these speakers used at considerable savings. Considerable savings over what a comparatively new purchase of another brand would incur. That alone has made Thiel my reference point for considering any other brand. Extraordinarily difficult to beat.  

For now, the 3.6's won't move.  They're too damn heavy for one, and secondly they're just too damn good. Did I mention they're heavy?

They're heavy.  Swapping cables is something of a chore requiring tipping them onto their sides onto a carpet to get at the connects on the bottom. Oof. Ouch. 

Up the line?  Only the future knows...