Opinion - Every audiophile should build at least 1 pair of speakers

I think everyone who does this, even just once, would be forever changed and become an improved music listener as well as equipment hobbyist.

Whether you build a single driver speaker like the LM-1S or the 2-way desktop LM-1 (designs are free) or any other kit from

I think you would find yourself with very different biases and understanding of how parts interact, how drivers work, and how much a good pair of speakers should cost, and most likely you would have a different opinion about what a good speaker sounds like.

Would you build world reference speakers for $50 a pair? Not likely at all, but when I see audiophiles argue over thousands of dollars in speaker cables and interconnects, I think to myself, their opinions and biases about where to spend their time and money would be forever changed if they built but a single pair of speakers.

Also, of course, building speakers is fun as hell, and a great project to introduce kids to electronics. Especially girls, we need more girls who grow up to be speaker makers, amp designers and audiophiles!

Best,

Erik

erik_squires
It is absolutely worth building and listening to a single driver design!

I'm more conventional though, and go towards Focal/FaitalPro/Markaudio

They won't replace my 2-way designs though!

Erik
Erik, I couldn't agree more. I've built two sets of speakers in my nearly 50 years in this enjoyable endeavor, both of them Tannoys. My first was a 12" pair of Monitor Golds, in poorly made plywood cabinets. My current pair, which are 12" HPDs, (ca 1975, with high quality outboard crossovers, the foam surrounds being converted to "Hard Edge" as are the current Prestige line of Tannoy). I was determined to make them sound as good as humanly possible, limited only by budget and knowledge/skill on my part.

Despite my shortcomings, they have turned out to sound as good, or better, than I'd hoped. I've seen some gorgeous DIY speaker builds, mine would not be seen that way, but they do sound that way. They will be passed on to my children, though I have no way to sort out which child will get them.

The amount of personal satisfaction I got from this build was tremendous, and it carries on to this day, and every day. I've done as much DIY as I can muster, and it's been keenly rewarding. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Regards,
DanĀ