walter becker Rest in Peace

Another prog rocker passes

128x128snook2
This is sad news. I was trying to think of my favorite Becker solos. I think that it is probably "Green Earrings". I also like his solo albums. He had a terrific sense of humor..
I was hoping Becker was working on another solo album as I love his other 2, as well as being a Steely Dan fan from the first album on. Back in the 70s if you were a working musician like I was you were generally astonished at what these guys came up with…hipper, funnier, and simply cooler than just about anything around, and it always just kicked ass. Saw them live a couple of years ago with Elvis Costello as the opener, and that live band (I'd also seen an earlier tour with the original band) was insanely great. Damn.
I was driving in my car (but not smoking my cigar) and had WXPN (U Penn radio station) on and heard a number of Steely Dan songs and hoped that it did not mean something like this.  But it did, unfortunately.  I never got to see/hear them live, did see Fagan playing piano at one of the Barn concerts at Levon's place in Woodstock, and saw him at a recording studio across from where my daughter works in NYC (I walked by and simply said "Hey 19", he looked and smiled).  I think my favorite disc is Aja.  No, I know it is.  A real loss for music lovers and admirers of great songwriting and great musicianship.
What a true loss to the music industry, any genre. I am sure Donald Fagan feels a severe loss in this news. My sympathies to him and Walters family.