PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Preamplifier. DESTROYS SPEAKERS!!

A few months ago, bought TWO of the above mentioned preamps. ( I have 2 stereo systems)
Within 6 weeks of the purchase, the power supply of my speakers burns out!
I purchase and replace the power supply.
Three days later, the second newly replaced power supply is burnt out!
After much investigative work and heartache, I discover that the Pre amp is the problem.
It is defective and puts out DC. which burns out speakers.
After, testing the second unit, I find that it is defective as well, EXACTLY the same problem.
I return the units to my dealer, who returns them to Prima Lune.

I received a phone call from a Mr. Kevin Deal, big cheese at PrimaLuna.
Told me that the capacitors, on BOTH units had failed and the units were putting out DC.
He even THANKED me, for being a guinea pig, and discovering the flaw in his units.

He offered me a pair of tubes, as "compensation" for my troubles!! What a joker!!

WOW, a pair of tubes for blowing my $30,000. speakers!!

The height of arrogance and total disregard for the consumer of his product.
To all audiophiles, do yourself a favour, STAY AWAY for this brand, unless you want your speakers cooked.

TOTAL lack of quality control, MADE IN CHINA junk, what more needs to be said.

Mr. Deal, WAKE UP, and STOP selling defective products!!

If, you are using PrimaLuna, and your speakers fail, check the amp or pre amp.

George

Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
thorloki
This preamp has been in production for over four years, and we have never had this part fail EVER with hundreds of units sold.  

It is built with better quality parts than any of its peers.  This failure was most likely due to the system or something in the home.  That's all there is to that.  Two preamps running into Bryston amps and Martin Logan speakers owned by the same person in the same house.  We have zero percent failures of this part all around the world, and he has 100%.  Not only 100%...but the same channel.  I look at facts.  

I  am very comfortable that there is no reason to change caps.  But because we always have done the maximum to assure our products are perfect, I will check every unit here and replace themjust so people know we are on top of things.  Caps are bought to order for any manufacturing run, and every cap is checked and measured before being used.   Could it be a bad batch?  No reason to think that. There are no other failures.   

I know the quality that goes into a PrimaLuna.  And so do customers.  In a time where companies are trying to stay even with previous years, we have had double-digit increases every year.  In fact over 30% in the fiscal year to date.  Much of that is due to customers who bought  PrimaLuna over a decade ago, they have not had problems, and they buy another.  

I know how the Dutch are about products being perfect.  Look inside and compare for yourself.  Or better yet, see what people in the industry buy for their own use.  

I am a Prima Luna distributor, so I read this thread with interest.

We have not had a single fault with a Prima Luna preamp in all the years we have sold the product. We have had just 1 faulty remote, and one blown fuse - that is it... 2 faults from hundreds of units.

I think some balance is required here. The OP claims that all units must be faulty because he had 2 faults in his system. He further extrapolates this to mean that all goods made in China must be suspect as well.

These are not logical assumptions to make. It is far more helpful to hear the experiences of many hundreds of users, so as to get a more statistically valid sampling, and then make a judgement as to product quality.  

System variables can cause incompatibilities. Rare though it might be, this seems to have been the case here. I am sorry that the OP had this unfortunate experience. It does not reduce the confidence that I have in the brand which is based on my experiences with hundreds of end users and items.
" This failure was most likely due to the system or something in the home.  That's all there is to that. "

Dear Mr. Deal, 
I wonder what, in my home, we can blame, for the failure of your pre amps.

Perhaps it was my beige coloured walls that upset your PrimaLuna's, could that be?
I know, it was probably my green carpet that did it!
No wait, I got it, it was those NASTY Martin Logan/Bryston components,
that's what pissed off your PrimaLuna's!

OK, I have spoken my mind, I will let the Audiogon community draw their own conclusions from what has been written in this thread.

Mr. Kevin Deal, I am speaking to you personally.
In conversing with you on the phone, several times, you can across as 
sincere.

Therefore, I am taking you at your word, that my TWO pre amps were 
FLUKES, and that YOU HAVE NOT HAD ANY OTHER failures, of a similar nature to mine.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, as I do not believe you would 
deliberately mislead me, as well as other PrimaLuna owners.

And with that, I consider this issue closed.

Mr. Deal, I wish you well, and good fortune going forward.

George