Horn based loudspeakers why the controversy?

As just another way to build a loudspeaker system why such disputes in forums when horns are mentioned?    They can solve many issues that plague standard designs but with all things have there own.  So why such hate?  As a loudspeaker designer I work with and can appreciate all transducer and loudspeaker types and I understand that we all have different needs budgets experiences tastes biases.  But if you dare suggest horns so many have a problem with that suggestion..why?
128x128johnk
It rings in my ears for next few hours after listening horns. The biggest and the quickest listening fatigue. As outdoor speakers horns are OK.
Obviously horn loaded speakers are used commonly in larger public venues.    Many of those sound really bad as well compared to a good home system, but in many cases it is due to poor or echo-prone acoustics commonly found in those places.  Still tends to give horns a bad rap.

My gym is a good example.    High efficiency horn loaded pro speakers are used in the various exercise rooms that are all basically big echo boxes.   Pretty hopeless to want better sound quality there.  
I don't hate horns. I personally don't have any reason to use them. It's frustrating to see horn fans insist that they're the only way to achieve certain characteristics because a) they are not, b) they're not ideal in many environments, and c) their virtues can be hotly debated. For every virtue horns are said to embody, there's a well regarded speaker that seeks to achieve the same results with a polar opposite approach. Horns are highly direction. MBL thinks omnidirectional is the ideal. Horns simulate a large radiating surface. Electrostats are huge radiating surfaces, and many might argue superior. Others try to simulate a point source and get pleasing results. 
For me personally, I listen to very few things in my natural day to day environment that simulate large, directional sources of sound. Sunday I attended a concert at my daughter's school which featured a choir, bell choir, brass band, and an orchestra in an auditorium of decent acoustics. My system at home portrays a comparable sound to what I heard. Generally I feel that the dynamics of events like that are less than what people want to be hearing on a home stereo. I'm not sure 130 dB of dynamic range reflects reality very often. I don't believe that should be the goal of an audio system at the cost of other virtues. 
@mapman 
My daughter's school has a large fitness center equipment with a horn loaded EV system, both mains and ceiling mounted delays, but they wisely outfitted the ceiling and various wall sections with acoustic treatments. It sounds quite decent.