Can't we all just get along?

I have not been a member for a very long time, and joined Agon to discuss audio with others in my hobby. Seems to me that almost every post devolves into a hijacked  negative argument between a few members that seem to think it's their platform to preach their opinions to any who would listen, and any dissent to what they have to say is met with ridicule/insults, and just downright rudeness.

There will always be differences in opinion, BUT, we can be civilized in how we disagree.

There is already too much negativity in the world. Is it not possible to insulate that from our hobby in this forum, or is this what we have become? Hiding behind our keyboards and not having the courtesy to treat our fellow audio lovers with decency, open-mindedness, and RESPECT !

128x128crazyeddy
phillyb,

The fastest way to turn a forum into an all-out brawl is to introduce politics into the mix. Please don’t do it again.
Tomcy6 +10...he (not so) subtly jammed it in there...assuming, in his insulated world (where everyone HE knows agrees with him ...secretly, probably only to stop him from whining) that everyone would be in agreement.

If he had any clue...he’d know, It started way before the demarcation convenient to his world view.
On second thought....like Tomcy6 says...just don't do it...again.  Leave it at that.

@Crazyeddy > I can assure you that they would be seeing the dentist the next day

Blindjim > the issue there is that the exact same people would not act the exact same way in person. I’d bet on it.

= = = = =

@Whart > Many were these meek individuals in person, but had an entirely different persona behind a keyboard.
> people don’t intend to sound snarky or harsh, but it comes off that way. (True of email too

Blindjimn > exactlyI said that in another post recently. Thanks for saying it here.

= = == = = =

Taking the high road is the key IMHO. It is difficult though to ignore blasts from the ill informed or missed inference which explodes from someone not realizing only a portion of a post was pertinent to them, yet they respond as if all of it was directed right at them. Or are goaded into flaming on from their other ill informed cronies..

It was not this way in the past. Anger is an attribute of displayed fear. We fear what we don’t know or are unfamiliar.

Although a plane did not abruptly land in my back yard, nor could it unless it came in nose first straight down, I’ve had some real issues with junkies or crack heads openly selling dope on the corner near my house, or right in front of it at times. Braking into the abandoned house next door routinely for whatever purposes.

I report idiots like these as it is necessary. They don’t care for that at all and have caused me enormous strife for an extended period.

3 times while I was home, these fools tried busting down my door to get in. all I had to defend myself with was a broom at first. It’s a little different now and I think they know it.

It sucks to sleep on the floor. Or with a weapon. Or be armed to just walk out to the road to check your snail mail.

The worst part of it is how long the stress from those invasions lasts. Astonishingly long in fact.

Standing up to the dopers finally got them out of my hair two years later on. Not the local authorities.

Last Friday night, 12.30am, four people began banging on my doors and windows. Yelling and screaming! Get up? Your house is on fire!!

What? Fire? Seriously? Holy…..

I get to the main entryway with a strong deterrent at my side and yell back asking who is there? Voices say Deputies!

They didn’t sound like crack heads so I slid the deterrant under a chair cushion and opened the door. Sure enough. Cops. Many of them saying get out of the house! Its on fire!

Well, crap. Where? Where’s the fire? I said.

They said by the door!

I was doing laundry. Running the dryer. It was about 40F and clouds of condensate was pouring out of the vent. This is what someone mistook as smoke from a house on fire and called the cops. Then two fire wagons pulled up and another wave of responders barged in throwing things around going thru the whole house. Shheessh.

What a mess they made. What a trip.

Now my dryer knows I hate it. Why? Because it is silently, covertly shrinking my clothes.

The evidence is overwhelming. All I want is a sincere apology. It stubbornly stands on the fifth and refuses to incriminate itself. Won’t say a word. Nada.

Knowing my dislike for the appliance is strong, I’ll bet it took the opportunity to billow out more smoke like clouds than usual, just to attract attention and ruin my evening!

Despite the fact there may be a small point of possible culpability on my behalf, I’m gonna focus my ire on the dryer. It works for me. Dumb dryer!! Probably would have been a life long criminal were it human.

Can somebody explain to me how this topic is technical talk? Would I be mistaken in thinking these threads are just soap boxes?