Chromecast and external DAC

I’m trying to set up a budget system to stream Tidal and Chromecast Audio caught my attention. I have a Schiit Multibit on the way and was wondering if anyone uses Chromecast Audio as the streaming source and if so, have you tried using an external DAC with it. It apparently has optical and a micro USB ports and I would be interested in using the USB port on the Modi.
Anyone tried such a set up? How’s the sound quality?
Thanks in advance.
128x128kalali
I use a few of them, both with their analogue output (into an older high end amplifier in the main system) and a modern more modest amplifier with digital optical input in the bedroom. It does not have a usb output, only mini optical and analogue (mini headphone style plug).
Even the analogue output from the modest internal DAC sounds fine in my main system with Quad electrostats, streaming Qobuz 16/44. See here for measurements that do confirm this favourable impression. The optical digital output is also clean insofar as the modest bedroom system allows me to tell. See here for measurements: http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html
If your wifi is not that good, there is an ethernet adapter for a wired connection.
just got a chromecast and am using it (through its mini optical) with a mf vdac--as willemj states its digital output is very clean and noticeably better than the not-bad analogue output. if you already have an optical cable, a mini adapter costs about $3. i also tried an amazon echo, which is bluetooth/analogue connection and much inferior, though fun to yell at
I've used mine with a Bifrost Multibit and it sounds great. The CA is an audiophile bargain IMO. I use a nice glass fiber Lifatec Mini Toslink/Toslink cable:

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Thank you gentlemen. Appreciate all the inputs and the links. So it looks like what I’ll need is a mini optical to regular optical cable to hook it up to the Modi. I already have a the 3.5mm mini plug to stereo RCA adaptor which I currently use to stream from iPhone through the line input on the preamp, but wanted something better and wireless. For the price, it’s a no brainer.

I move my Chromecast Audio from rig to rig(I know they are only $35.00) and it shines more when I stream digital via mini toslink to my Cambridge Audio 840C player/DAC.  For the price of entry of $35.00, the built in DAC is acceptable when I just connect to my integrated amps via RCA analog.  Only have Spotify and Pandora so I am sure with Tidal it will sound better also with the outboard DAC.

Bill