Chromecast and external DAC

I’m trying to set up a budget system to stream Tidal and Chromecast Audio caught my attention. I have a Schiit Multibit on the way and was wondering if anyone uses Chromecast Audio as the streaming source and if so, have you tried using an external DAC with it. It apparently has optical and a micro USB ports and I would be interested in using the USB port on the Modi.
Anyone tried such a set up? How’s the sound quality?
Thanks in advance.
128x128kalali
Thank you gentlemen. Appreciate all the inputs and the links. So it looks like what I’ll need is a mini optical to regular optical cable to hook it up to the Modi. I already have a the 3.5mm mini plug to stereo RCA adaptor which I currently use to stream from iPhone through the line input on the preamp, but wanted something better and wireless. For the price, it’s a no brainer.

I move my Chromecast Audio from rig to rig(I know they are only $35.00) and it shines more when I stream digital via mini toslink to my Cambridge Audio 840C player/DAC.  For the price of entry of $35.00, the built in DAC is acceptable when I just connect to my integrated amps via RCA analog.  Only have Spotify and Pandora so I am sure with Tidal it will sound better also with the outboard DAC.

Bill
You will be amazed how good it is. The analogue output is fine for 16/44, but struggles a bit at 24/96. With its bitperfect digital output it really is a no compromise solution up to 24/96, and for only $35. If you use more than one, you can even synchronise them for multiroom use (if that takes your fancy).
In our bedroom we use the digital output into a small Ava Maestro 50 amplifier with auto on off. The amp and Chromecast sit out of sight, and are switched on automatically if and when there is a signal from the app. The TuneIn Internet Radio app has a sleeptimer that turns the system off automatically after a set interval. Unfortunately not all apps have this option.
I just picked one up earlier this afternoon. Can’t believe how small it is! Unfortunately I couldn’t find the optical cable locally so had to order it online. Real anxious to try it with the Modi Multibit and see how it compares with my Bluesound Node2.
Thanks again for all your help.