inexpensive xlr vs expensive rca

I currently use homemade Belden 8423/Neutrik XLR throughout my system. Mainly because I was spending money on getting all of the components up to spec.

I'm looking at some used, very high-end RCA cables at a good price. I can't find the equivalent XLR cables used, but I can find XLR cables a few levels down of the manufacturer. For instance, $1500 RCA cables for $600. Or $700 XLR cables for $700. 

I'm connecting a Parasound JC-3+ and an Ayre QB-9 DSD to a Parasound JC-2. All first-class equipment. 

Would I be better off getting the super quality RCA used cables, or the less high quality (but still good) brand-new XLR cables at the same price point? 
marktrav
@marktrav - exactly what is your goal?

1. to get the best performing cable?
- in that case try cables from KLEI
2. to prove there is little if no difference between XLR and RCA?
- you have done that with your test, so stick with the cable you felt performed the best.

Having said that - your test has compared two mediocre cables and as such there will be very little difference between the two. I would have thought the XLR would have sounded better out of those two cables.

Neither of the cables you tested are in the same price point (i.e. $600 - $1500) as those you mentioned in your original post, so your findings are really not "transferable" to higher priced cables - regardless of the connector type.

So I guess you were more "generally" curious as to which connector type might offer the best performance?
- From what you observed there is little difference at those price points
- From what I observed, as stated in my earlier post, it is more about the cables than the type of connector

Good luck with your quest - Steve :-)

@williewonka yes, you are correct. I have decided to audition the lineup of 3T van den Hul cables over the next week. XLR is the connector of choice. I’ll post back once I’ve had a chance to listen. God, I hope I don’t fall for the Mountain. Wallet is pretty light lately. 
"" Wallet is pretty light lately. ""

It took me TWO YEARS of pondering to buy the expensive cable I really wanted. ($3,000) Finally I had a pile of money just laying around and THEN I bought the cable.
(glad I did) but I wanted to mention I waited those two years....
@marktrav I applaud you for undertaking and doing what you have / are. It isn’t easy.

This isn’t a test. No one is grading you. 

Getting caught up in methodology gets in the way of taking the music in.

I encourage you to focus on the music and not the process. You will sort it out.
@marktrav - I think you will be pretty happy with the Van den Hul cables - they have been a long time favorite of mine. They are a definite step up from the two cables you used to conduct your comparison.

Another cable that I have not tried, but I like the geometry used in their construction, is from Anticables - they start from around $200 for a 1 metre pair (you can get as low as 0.5 meter.)

http://anticables.com/interconnects/analog-xlr-interconnects#!/Level-2-Performance-Series-Analog-XLR...

They also have some very good RCA cables...
http://anticables.com/interconnects/analog-rca-interconnects#!/SALE-50-off-NEW-Level-1-Classic-Serie...

They utilize a helix spiral neutral, which I have found is a vastly superior cable geometry to that used by many cable constructors and I have used the same Helix geometry many times with great results.

The Helix geometry provides a quieter background, faster dynamics with greater control, improved clarity and superior imaging.

One last thing - if you are into DIY - take a look at the following link
http://image99.net/blog/files/category-002ahelix-interconnect-cable.html

These are cables I have developed over the last few years and now use throughout my system.

Looking forward to hearing your comments on the Van den Hul cables

Cheers - Steve