Fidelity Research FR-64x

Fidelity Research FR-64x.....(with silver wire ).  Is this arm still considered  viable today ?

offnon57
This is a terrific pickup arm - I used for one years on an Oracle and it sounded wonderful. When I upgraded to an SME V, I sold the Oracle and FR to a friend, who uses it still. And it still sounds great. Please note that one of the self-appointed turntable gurus here has an extreme distaste for the FR, to which of course he’s entitled. But it’s really just a prejudice on his part. I’ve heard the FR arm sound fine in a number of different systems.
@offnon57 

Fidelity Research FR-64x.....(with silver wire )

Do you mean FR-64s ? But the "s" is not necessary silver wire, it can be copper wire. When the wire is silver there is a sticker on the art "silver wire inside" or something like that.  

I bought FR-64fx toneam (the black one) with heavy counterweight W-205. We will see how it works with my FR-7f cartridge. I'm gonna try my FR PMC-3 cartridge as well, but maybe i will need a lighter counterweight which i don't have (looking for one). 

I'm not a fan of the silver wire, in my opinion copper wire is always better.

The FR 66/64 S (''S'' for steel) were produced from hardened steel

and become to expensive to produce. That is why Ikeda decided

to produce FR 66/64 FX made from aluminum which is more easy

and much cheaper to produce. Curious but true the same happened

with SME 3009 and 3012. The first version was produced from steel

the later from aluminum.

Copper or silver question need to be put in the context of time.

As function of time copper corrode so after all those years (80is)one

need to check copper wire version. My FR low impedance SUT

output wire was black from corrosion.

And copper oxide is a poor conductor.  Whereas silver oxide conducts about as well as pure silver.

nandric

with SME 3009 and 3012. The first version was produced from steel

the later from aluminum.

Quite true and perhaps the reason for the fondness of the early
model.

I think the later R series revised the steel tube material
as an homage to the original?