Lyra Delos A truth teller or what?

My experience with the Lyra Delos has been good and to put it the best way too revealing?  So far my original vinyl sounds incredible, especially stuff from the Golden age of stereo.  Amazing to say the least.  However, newly remastered stuff sounds extremely overdone and in some cases unlistenable and I am talking about a lot of Classic reissues.  Is this just the way it will be or will this cartridge still relax a little as I only have roughly 50 hours or so on it?
tzh21y
what you heard is what I heard in demo.  the silver interconnects may have some influence.  I really think that there is nothing wrong with the delos on this table.  It is just not the sound I prefer.  it is a very detailed sound.  The table has a very accurate sound with a slight hint of warmth.  the 1200g is very neutral sounding.  The Stillpoints LPI really enhances focus, sometimes too much.  soemtimes i like to listen with it, sometimes without it.  The Lyra sounds better on the VPI.  The Benz sounds better on the Technics.  Its just that the benz is not a good tracking cartridge.  at least not in my experience.  It can be siblant but the things it does right I really like.  It makes classical sound like the real thing.  if you go to concerts you will know what I mean.  The Lyra does very well with older recordings which makes it a difficult thing unless I want 2 cartridges for different things.

The headshells have made a significant difference in sound.  some things sound better, some things do not. the heavier you go, the more bass and less air in upper treble.  The stock headshell seems to be the best so far.  The Lyra seems to need more effective mass, more weight, a heavier arm to sound its best imho.  The benzs are more medium compliance and sound good.  The ortofon cadenzas have lower compliance, but are heavier than the Lyra so they might work pretty well.
I understand the urge to find the one perfect cartridge for your system.  Then you stop listening to the cartridge and enjoy the music.  If the Delos distracts you with its high frequency energy then it is probably not the right cart for you.  I have given up on finding the one right cart because I have found that my moods change too much.  I love the Lyra house sound when I’m in the mood for high energy music.  I recently sold my Delos for a used Atlas and found the later to have a more balanced but still high energy sound across the frequency spectrum.  It gets all the information out of the groove. Also the image solidity and 3D soundstage improved dramatically, especially on the Mørch DP-8.  On the other hand, when I’m in a different mood I turn to my other favorite cartridge, the Koetsu RSP on an FR-64S.  That combination extracts a beautiful groove with PRaT!  Both combos are amazing at what they do but do not sound the same. I like having the options. I would assume that this is why many of us have tables with more than one tonearm or in my case, easily swapable arms.
-Karl
@tzh21y  I hear ya.  I sold my Delos with 80 hours on it for only $950.  The boosted treble just didn't do it for me.  And I'm running OCC copper ICs.
I have a great dealer that I purchased the table from.  He said he would let me hear a ortofon cadenza bronze on my system to see if it has better synergy.  He thinks its not totally run in yet.  well how long...... lol.  The lyra makes me want to back my chair up.  somewhat shouty.  on older records, not at all.  Go figure
It sounds like the Delos is definitely not working for you, so time to move it on. While lots of people love it, it's not for everyone.

The Cadenza Bronze should be a much more neutral cartridge than the Delos. I had a Cadenza Black and preferred it to the Delos, and it was the best tracking cartridge I have ever used. It can, however, be a little bland on some arms. The Bronze is said to be a bit warmer so may work well.

Another cartridge to consider around the same price is the Shelter 501 Mk III. This is a very balanced and musical cartridge. I preferred this to the Cadenza Black and some much more expensive cartridges, and could easily live with this as my only cartridge.