Removing spikes... Now my speakers sing

Have you tried to replace the spikes under your speakers, and replace them by footers ?  I find a better unity in the music from my speakers, and beefy sound, and more natural music.
audiosens
Note that if you live in a large (or even medium sized) tent in a desert someplace, the spikes can go right through a rug into sand and possibly fall over into a hookah...nobody needs that...
@labtec  Ther last paragraph in your post would, if employed with most floor standing speakers, raise the tweeters much too high relative to the listening seat going against the speaker manufacturers recommendations, throwing the sound out of balance.
@hifiman5 The sand box I'm referring to is actually almost identical to the the height of spikes.  Bright Star audio made these sand boxes (mainly for equipment), but could be used for speakers too.  You don't need the spikes, so it's not like doubling up on the height. You mainly have to customize them for your speakers since every speaker is different size nowadays.  Thus, you can make them any height you want.

Also remember, that even if you double the height or it's 1-2 inches different than a spike, it's not any different than other things you have to manage if your speakers are super sensitive by a couple inches to dispersion.  Chairs/couches/etc aren't all at the same height.  The cushions aren't the same tension. People aren't the same weight and height.  Some people slouch when seated and others don't.  Thus, the size of the custom sand base you make is virtually immaterial to other things if you have speakers with very sensitive/poor dispersion.  As long as you don't do anything crazy with the height of your custom sand base, you should be fine.

It's also a good time to say that I only use large line source ribbon/planar speakers (Wisdom Audio, Maggies, etc). I'm not a big fan of any point source loudspeakers that have all these hyper sensitive dispersion issues, but that's a discussion for another topic and for more reasons than just dispersion characteristics.
Or, hang the speakers and the listening couch/chair from the ceiling and take the floor completely out of the equation. Problem solved. 

Spike or not to Spike the question is!

My listen room is 16'X24' with arced  beamed ceiling with carped covered suspended 2nd floor. I used my Sennheiser condenser Calibrated mike thru real time analyzer + sweep tone generator on a mike stand toward the spot my Wilsons spiked sit on the floor above. MATERIAL USED.

Best results" 1"1/2 Birch 4 ply Rectangle 2" larger foot print the than the SASHA. Then off to the Hobby store. 5#s RED modeling clay(Zero REZ.)

Laid same 1" thick over the Birch. Ran same sweep# 2 Low Feq test. Results 80Hz>250Hz spike down 4db. Upstairs Bach Organ selection and Boston Pops Live in London RCA  6'dia Drum for the first time could now hear it's skin "MORE CLEARLY."

p.s. Not sure if green clay would have proved better?