Interconnects and non-believers

For anyone who denies there are differences in cables, I have news for you.
There are vast differences.  I just switched interconnects between my CD transport (Cyrus) and DAC (Schiit Gumby), and the result was transformational.  Every possible parameter was improved: better definition, better soundstaging,  better bass, better depth etc.
I can’t understand how any audiophile with ears can deny the differences.  Is it delusion or dogma?
128x128rvpiano
geoffkait,

Wow! Thanks for the huge Strawman argument, professor!

Your consistency in misidentifying arguments and fallacies is remarkable. You are batting 1000! An achievement of sorts, I guess ;-)

Nobody said you can do better than the sound of the original recording.

I of course didn’t claim anyone was saying that. So...what a surprise!...you are yet again indulging in your hobby of attacking strawmen. What I instead argued was to consider the implications, the conundrum, contained within the understanding one can not improve on the sound of the original.** . That’s why I concluded with: "And then ask yourself if boutique audiophile cables are necessary for passing along extremely high fidelity signals." (Note, that does not contain the strawman you re-phrased this to become).

Presuming first that audiophile cables alter the sound....(and acknowledging that even the most hardened "objectivist" about cables would say you want to choose the right cable for the right job, lest it degrade the signal)

IF one has the view that cables are essentially just forms of tone controls, then, just as when you play with an EQ, it’s possible one cable can sound "more revealing" of what is on the recording - e.g. if the frequency contour favours the upper frequencies, more "detail" will be heard.

That concept of how cables can alter a sound system doesn’t produce the conundrum I referred to.
However, most high end cables are not marketed as simply being tone controls. They tend to be directed to claims that tickle the audiophile’s desire for Higher Fidelity.

So...

IF one has the view that audiophile cables result in "higher fidelity" of the signal - that is they *reveal* via lower distortion/higher fidelity information that goes missing on *regular* cables...THEN the problem I pointed to arises. Because, as I said, the high end cable could only ever be revealing information that was already conveyed by the non-audiophile cables used to capture the recording. In fact, you are hearing the capabilities of the *very worst* cables the signal ever passed through.

Hence it seems to be a conundrum of sorts to say the expensive high end cables have properties that make them "more revealing" for music in a hi fi system than the basic cables used for most recordings. Or, in other words, it seems rather odd for many audiophiles to think they require spending big bucks on high end cables because lower priced cables aren’t up to the job of conveying a high fidelity signal. They are using their high end cables to exalt in the signals conveyed by non-audiophile cables! So non-audiophile-grade cables *must* be capable of extremely high fidelity, which suggests the emphasis many audiophiles place on high end audio cables to achieve high fidelity *may* be based on some dubious assumptions.

** (BTW, that is on the presumption of fidelity to the original signal -we can of course alter the original signal through EQ, re-mastering etc to make it into what many would think to be "better" sound. But again, that’s not what we are talking about for the moment)

Prof, no offense but you sound like the guy in the cave trying to make sense of shadows on the wall. Without parsing the paragraphs one by one, which I actually don’t have time for, let me just say the entire last post of yours was a very weird combination of the very obvious with wild ass guesses. It’s so obvious you’re a talker, not a walker. It’s just so much what about this?, what about that? You’ve perhaps been on the forums too long. Time to get back in the laboratory. 
@elizabeth 

I got the RS at 42k, yes a lot of cash but a whole lot of fun.
And if I keep my lead foot out of it still get 28mpg.

GK.

Why cannot serve two masters or three or four?
Same principles of research and application.
Admittedly car upgrades do tend to be a little more universally reliable in outcome.
Along with the high costs of cables, another big obstruction is the ego---have to get it out of the way in favor of some humility.  Many attach themselves to someone else's dogma and just camp there, thinking the debate is solved: cables are just cables.  

"He who knows that he does not know, knows."  
Enough, Grasshopper........ 
After several hours of listening to my cheap AC cord. (Marinco ends, $12.99 or so each. And Carol 12/3 wire 13 ft cost like $13.No problems with the sound. Just as nice as it was before. (Actually slightly warmer presentation.)
I suppose if I actually did a serious comparison I could nit pick my way into defending spending $350 for the Pangea powercord (4 meter AC9SE)Mainly I am trying to decide if blowing a grand on a powercord could be rationalized.. LOL (So far, no way.)I may just buy some OFC wire to compare that too?Cheapest bulk OFC powercord 12 gauge is like $100 for 13 ft.