Static electricity pulled the rubber mat right off the Turntable!

Howdy folks!

Lotta static with the TT. Rush lifted the rubber mat right off the SL Technics 1200 GR table tonight! I live in Miami Florida with a billion percent humidity.  I keep the humidity at 55 to 60 percent while I'm gone and drop it to 45 percent asap. Better grounding? Better wall socket? Pre play were dead of static. Lifting it, it's charged!

Thanks, 

Brent
128x128knollbrent
Low humidity and the static go hand in hand. I suggest if you love the low humidity, get used to peeling your mat. A trace of any sort of silicone spray on the top surface of the mat would reduce the problem. Also sticky the mat to the platter... For something that can be wiped right off, trace of glycerin soap.
I guess my point was that even if the 0P is successful at reducing the humidity from 60-65% ambient to 45% in his house, 45% humidity is not particularly low. Certainly not low enough to account for the massive problem with static electricity.
I have a Dual CS-5000 that causes records to amass static.  It has a grounded bearing/spindle but that doesn't seem to help.  I replaced the stock mat with a Herbie's Excellent mat and this helped some with the static, worked better with the sound.  A definite step up from the stock rubber mat which to me sucked the life out of the music.  I tried a cork mat and that didn't help either.  

So, I use a carbon fiber brush before and after play on each side and do a quick blast with a Zerostat after the second side is played.  The odd thing is that I don't notice as much static until I play the second side then lift it off to put it back in it's rice paper sleeve and I hear that crackle and of course any dust in the air immediately attacks the record before I can get it back in the sleeve. The Zerostat seemed to help with this phenomenon.  
Nick, do you, or does the OP, have a wool carpet underfoot?  Leather-soled shoes?  Very often, the static charge happens because of what the user brings up to the turntable (what he or she is standing on, what shoes he or she is wearing) during the changing of an LP. Like you, I'd use the zerostat way before I would use the Gruv Glide, based on chayro's description of how the stylus must clean it off an LP.
I do have a big Persian rug that everything sits on. I've got the Milty, anti static brushes, creams, ointments, if it's anti static I've bought it! Again, vinyl is dead when pulled from jacket. Upon playing record, it's an electrical storm.