Amplifier ideas with KEF Reference 1

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of KEF reference 1's for my 10'x14' office (currently LS50's). Current electronic setup is all PS Audio (bhk monoblocks, bhk  signature preamp, directstream dac). Incredible sound, zero complaints other than the fact that the monoblocks run hot. I'm getting cooked so the whole ps audio setup is listed for sale.... Although it just may end up at home for a future 2 channel setup!

So with that background, please share ideas for a high quality system that's cool running. Budget up to $15k. I'll add that I favor the warmer side of the spectrum. I'm a bass player and like tight, fast, deep bass..... Glorious mids, and smooth highs. Current ideas to match with the  KEF Reference 1's include:

1. Bel Canto Black EX (integrated or the separates). My contact says the separates are far superior. I'm concerned this setup is too analytical. Anyone heard them?

2. Bel Canto Ref600m. Keep my directstream dac and bhk signature preamp. Probably more than good for an office!?!

3. Hegel 360 or the new forthcoming monster integrated (590)? They're not too pretty to look at but it seems like I've read about hegel and kef being matched at several audio shows. Is there a hegel house sound particularly with the KEF’s?

4. McIntosh mc611. I'll admit it.... I'm a sucker for the looks of McIntosh plus their easy listenability. I've never had ear fatigue listening to a McIntosh setup. I'd be keeping the directstream dac and bhk signature preamp for this combo. Afraid that is be giving up a lot going from the bhk monoblocks to the McIntosh with similar heat. 

5. Luxman L509x. Brand new. Supposed to be very musical and runs cool. I'd probably run with the directstream dac. 

Your thoughts / ideas are appreciated.... Especially if you've heard the recommendation with KEF reference 1's. It's all about system synergy, right!?!

thank you,
ken

keoliphant
@keoliphant I have also invested a little bit of money into my office system. I originally had LS50’s powered by PeachTree Nova 150 integrated. I moved that system to the bedroom and now have the Audience 1+1 V2+ speakers driven by a single Benchmark AHB2 amp in the office. The Audience 1+1 speaker has a clearer sound than the LS50, though I love both speakers equally. The LS50 has a little more heft to it.

You may want to do a little bit of research on the Audience 1+1. I was going to get the KEF Ref 1 for the office but decided against it because I would eventually end up with 3 KEF based systems. I wanted a little more speaker diversity and I am so glad I got the Audience 1+1. It is a different sounding speaker from the small KEFs.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audience-clairaudient-11-v2-loudspeaker/

I heard the KEF Ref 1 with the latest Wired4Sound monoblocks and it was fabulous. I ended up staying and listening to that system longer than I planned. Seriously good sound and not too expensive.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/power-amps/mono/sx-1000r

The Benchmark AHB2 would also be a great amp to pair with the KEF Ref 1’s though I am not sure if it would meet your needs for a warm sound. This amp has no sound to it and maybe the quietest amp available at ANY price.. I would recommend 2 of these amps in monoblock for the Ref 1 ($6k total new). Maybe a little over the top in power but the amp is so cheap for the performance. It also has a shocking small form factor which you will appreciate for an office. Your PS Audio DAC will work well with it. I use the new Benchmark DAC3L

https://www.dagogo.com/benchmark-audio-dac3-dx-ahb2-amplifiers-review/

My final audio purchase will be KEF Blades for the living room. I am thinking about some different ideas to drive them or getting a second Benchmark AHB2 and running them in monoblock form with the Blades. There are some A’Gon users successfully using the AHB2 amps in this setup. If I get a second AHB2 and use them in the living room I am thinking of splurging for the Luxman 509x for the office. BTW - I have a budget of 30K for the living room amps so I have many choices.

I also use Audience cables and speaker wires. I will get the top of the line Audience wires for my living room system,

I have heard the Hegel 360 with the KEF Blades and that integrated would also work great with the Ref 1’s. You would not need the Hegel 590. The Hegel really makes sense from a practicality perspective and also sound wise. However, I do feel the AHB2 sounds better than the Hegel (for me). I was lucky to have an almost private 2 hour audition with the Blades and H30 | 360 | Roost amps from Hegel. The H30 and 360 sounded very good with the Blades but something tells me the AHB2 in mono maybe better.

The PeachTree Nova 300 also would work with the Ref 1’s. Maybe not as great as some of the others I have listed but you are supposed to be working in your office (correct)? This integrated should work well enough and I may also get this if I don’t do something crazy and buy the Luxman 509x for the office.

I have actually heard the Kef Ref 1 with a few more amplifiers that escape me now. I do not think this speaker is too difficult to drive but I would try to use more than 100 wattts.

I think there are a lot of really good amplification choices these days without having to break the bank. The 10K mark for office amplification is a little tough to justify but it is just money. The stuff I have listed all run cool and some are very small in form factor.
Thanks for the insight and ideas yyzsb. I'm with you, it's just money..... And considering that I spend more time at the office than home, my office setup should be killer.

I'm thinking whatever I choose needs to have the wife acceptance factor in case it comes home. My wife hated the looks of the wyred, benchmark, McIntosh, and Hegel....the bel canto black ex (integrated or separates) and the Luxman 509x were her favorites so those are my final options. 

Decisions, decisions!!!
The Hegel 590 is a killer amp, heard recently running blades! Incredible. regarding the looks, understated yes, but personally I’d rather this than the extra expense going into looks and style.

also consider the Arcam class G kit, P/A49 etc... again a very good amp, and works well with the Ref 1,3 etc...
keoliphant

They are fairly hard to drive as in the power region of the bass they present a load to the amp of around 3.2ohm and that's broad from 50hz to 200hz.
Look for amps that are happy seeing 3ohms all day as many tube,mosfets, and Class-d may not do the job.
I would hunt out linear amps with beefy power supplies, that use multiple BJT (bi-polar) output devices. Like John Curl designed Parsounds, Krell, D'Agostiono, Gryphon, some Classe's, Mark Levinson. ect 

https://www.fidelity-magazin.de/2016/08/23/kef-reference-1-messungen/

Cheers George
Lots of positive reviews on the Lyngdorf. If it were me, I would first replace the pre/amp and keep the LS50. You might just get enough incremental improvement from your LS50 by adding room correction that you may be satisfied with the results. Keep the rest of the budget for the next major upgrade.