Dynavector cartridges, old and new

For more than 40 years Dynavector has been producing very high quality moving coil cartridges in Japan. Sadly we don't have a dedicated Dynavector thread here on audiogon. It would be nice to collect info about some nice rare models in one topic. 

My first Dynavector was high output model, very attractive headshell integrated as one piece - Dynavector DV-30A was released in Japan 1 year before the Karat series and 4 years before the fabulous Karat Nova. The first high output Moving Coil Dynavector DV-30 series was the next generation of the Ultimo cartridges. The Ultimo’s were manufactured by Onlife Research Inc., which later became Dynavector. The 30-series was introduced in 1978 with 3 different models DV-30A & DV-30B (HOMC) and DV-30C (LOMC). Till the early 80s it was top of the line Dynavector models.... 

But then the KARAT was released with short Ruby and Diamond cantilevers (depends on the model). I've been looking for KARAT for a long time, i found the Dynavector KARAT 23RS special calibrated version with Micro Ridge stylus tip and prism Ruby cantilever. This particular model has been introduced in 1988 and claimed to be superior to the earlier generation of Karat carts. I'd like to seek more info about this rare cartridge, but very little info available online. Anyone can comment on Karat Ruby 23RS mkI (not mkII) ?  

I know some mebers are enjoing the more expensive Karat Nova series, XV-1, XX-2, Te Kaitora Rua etc 

Modern Dynavector site is: http://www.dynavector.com/ 

But the rare models can be found here

128x128chakster
 What I reject, is the notion that any cartridge that is no longer made, made with this or that exotic material in the cantilever, or has some unusual property or structure (magnet, coil, stylus shape) is therefore to be sought and probably sounds better than anything one can more easily acquire or which is more conventionally constructed.. I try to keep in mind that some things are rare, because they were originally a failure in the marketplace. I’m not saying that Chakster  is any more guilty of this than any others of us. We all do it.
Sure it would be very interesting to read his reviews on much more expensive carts, vintage MC kind and modern FC (of Soundsmith) kind and other "exotic" designs, in near future hopefully. That would be fun...
Actually some time ago I was very interested in the Hyperion, the finest from Soundsmith, but I can get handful of vintage quality carts for its price so I suddenly lost interest. Still, I may very well try one in the future as it surely is one of the very finest cartridges ever. But I will never try Strain Gauge system no matter how much it possibly will be hyped.
The point is he (and we others) keeps searching for greatest carts and hopefully not totally change his mind to digital, no matter how "perfect" it may eventually become.
"What I reject, is the notion that any cartridge that is no longer made, made with this or that exotic material in the cantilever, or has some unusual property or structure (magnet, coil, stylus shape) is therefore to be sought and probably sounds better than anything one can more easily acquire or which is more conventionally constructed."

I'd reject that too — but is that really the premise? Who has the "the notion that any cartridge that is no longer made, or has some..." etc "... probably sounds better..."?

We just don't know. The only way to know is to hear it — it's a mystery and a gamble — but if an obscure and interesting cartridge shows up and ante is right, I'll take the chance. Some favorite cartridges, and other components, came to me that way.

Forgive my edits and italics; I don't think they don't alter your meaning.

I just don’t know of any modern LOMC cartridges than can be purchased for $500-700 like those NOS vintage top models we’re talking about here. Especially with Ruby or Diamond cantilevers. Remember the price for a brand new Ortofon Anniversary with Diamond cantilever, was it $16k?

Diamond cantilever was invented by Dr.Tominari of Dynavector Systems, KARAT was the first cartridge with Diamond cantilever in the world. 
I'm on my second Karat D3.

Just read about the very newest Ortofon.. it has a diamond cantilever as well.....hmmm.