Small or large sub for music

I've been using a pair of Velodyne HGS-10s to supplement KEF LS50s below 50 Hz, but I read that larger subs are better for music because the cone needs excursion.  Is there any truth to this?  I have a pair of HGS-15s that I could use to supplement the LS50s or Reference 1s (below 40 Hz) if I go there.  The HGS-15s do HT superbly.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd

" Have you tried daisy chaining all four?"

m-db,

No, didn't think there was a need.  The Debra system's 1,000 watt amp has 'A" and 'B'  sub/speaker output sections, each with its own 'Left' and "Right' sub/speaker outputs, so  4 sub/speaker outputs total.  I run separate custom speaker cables to each sub  that are routed through the crawl space underneath my room.  

Tim
Sorry for being so brief. I meant to say daisy chaining the four powered HGS subs via the Dayton's EQd line level (RCA) connection using each subs 1000 / 1250w amplifiers. 

I'm not sure of the ohm rating of the two HGS drivers. I'm assuming if they're anything below 8 ohms you may have presented the Dayton amplifier with a less than its combined 4 ohm minimum load which could affect the subs performance and possibly damage the drivers.

Blue Jeans or MonoPrice cable offer reasonably priced custom lengths of RCA cable.  

m-db,

Okay, I understand now you weren't directing the daisy chaining question to me.

Woops,
Tim
I use a pair of JL Audio F113V2 subwoofers, each with 13.5" drivers and 3000 watt amps built in, each also weighing in at 133#.

To Erik_Squires excellent point, my "man cave" had an extremely obnoxious "one note" it would add, no matter what the bass players were playing, and it was very loud.  So, I had to purchase a calibrated microphone and "REW" (Room EQ Wizard) software and eventually apply 10 bass traps to the room, to get the low bass under control.  Now it sounds great, but it was not easy getting there!

One thing about my comparison of the JL models, the F112V2 subs (12" driver, 1800 watt amps) were probably a better match for stand mounts, as they go higher in the bass range before they roll off.  In my case, my F113V2's pair with some Focal Sopra No2 floor standing, three way speakers.