In need high-efficency speakers

I recently purchased a preowned Mystere IA-11 40 watt tube integrated amp to replace a 120 wpc SS amp. Overall it has a very satisfying sound with plenty of detail, dynamics and a tight bass for a tube amp.

The problem is the combination of our large town-home living/dining room combo with my 87db DIY Seas Froy Mk3 speaker, powered by the 40 watt amp means it can’t play loud, especially a problem with movies or TV specials.

I was hoping to change to the Zu Audio Omen Mk2 or Klipsch Heresy III high-efficency speakers. My wife and I agree it is unwise to spend that kind of money with our current finances. The Zu Dirty Weekend would be a cheaper option, but the Klipsch would look better in our living room.

So I’m looking for solid advice on what to do from this audiophile community.

Here is a link to my ’Virtual System’ if that will help.
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7252

Thanks all,
Mike
128x128mjcmt
P.S. to my previous post: Keep in mind also that the difference between the 120 watt capability of your previous solid state amp and the 40 watt capability of the Mystere is only 4.8 db. And the resulting maximum volumes provided by the two amps may have differed by even less than that, if the speakers were starting to undergo "thermal compression" as the 120 watt amp approached its maximum power capability, and also because tube amps tend to enter their clipping region less abruptly than solid state amps.

All of which adds to my suspicion that the issue might be a gain problem and not a power or speaker sensitivity problem.

Regards,
-- Al
@elevick what Zu did you audition?I found huge difference between their lower price models and the Druid.

Specific to Coincidents, I have always wanted to hear.  They are 1st order crossover design correct?  What model do you prefer?
87db 1 watt
90db 2 watts
93 4 watts
96 8 watts
99 16 watts
102db 32 watts
40 watts might hit 103 cleanly?
Thx is 110, ultra 112
It's all subjective but if you like it loud, 87 db with 40 watts wont cut it.  And yes, i know thats at 1 meter.  We have to keep all things in equal perspective.. 

I run 10 watts on 96db speakers and it will never "rock" but does sound sweet.  My 325 wpc mac into the coincidents will do anything.

For Coincidents, I cant play with $25k speakers but used eclipses would be great.  Used Triumphs are a nice find but rare.
Al,
When I had the Consonance C100 (rebadged Hegel H1) 120wpc we found turning volume to 11oclock was necessary at time w/ certain movies/tv for full enjoyment.
With the Mystere I've had volume to 11:00/1:00 position and find it can be too quiet at times particularly w movies and dialogue. An irritation and quieter than we like. Music generally is fine as we don't play it as loud. I'm afraid to turn it up further, as there is a bit of hardening to the sound at 12:00. The 7:00-10:00 position seems to be the sweat spot w/ music.
I have some cheap Klipsch 3.1 94db efficiency monitors with a more prominent midrange and can get a respectable volume at the 11:00 o'clock position, hence the search for more efficient speakers.
...there is a bit of hardening to the sound at 12:00.

Thanks for the additional info, Mjcmt.

Roughly speaking, a typical single-turn rotary volume control such as the one on your Mystere will provide around 22 db or so of attenuation at the 12 o’clock position. Your Yamaha Blu-Ray/CD/SACD player has a maximum output that is nominally spec’d at 2 volts. The approximately 8 db of gain provided by the amp at the 12 o’clock setting (30 db max gain - 22 db of attenuation by the volume control) will boost a 2 volt input to about a 5 volt output.

5 volts into what I suspect is the 4 ohm impedance of your speakers corresponds at most to 6.25 watts, and to less than that to the extent the speaker’s impedance is not purely resistive.

So as I see it you are not turning the volume control up high enough to utilize most of the power capability of the amp. However I have no thoughts as to why the sound is hardening at higher settings of the control.

Regards,
-- Al