Cartridge for Technics SL-1200G or SL-1200GR

I've been using a Technics SL-1600MK2 since about 1982.  I'm currently using an Ortofon Blue cartridge.  I have a NAD M12 pre, M22 v2 PA, and Tannoy 8 dcti speakers.

I plan to upgrade to a 1200G or 1200GR and wanted some cartridge recommendations from current owners.  I've considered the Ortofon Black for either, but I'm not sure if that would be overkill for the 1200GR. The Blue sounds pretty good with my current setup, so how much improvement could I expect if I went with the Black.  
128x128oldschool1948
You have almost the same turntable as I do. I have the SL-1700mk2 which is the same but only semi-automatic operation. I use an Audio-Technica VM540ML and love the clarity and depth of sound quality across the spectrum with great dynamic range.

The SL-1200G /GR are very nice turntables, but I feel they aren’t -that- much of a step up from the SL-1600mk2, which has basically the same tonearm and while it has plenty of mass, it could use more isolation, which has always been a weak spot with the old SL-1200mk2 / md3.

I have recently purchased a KAB Electro-Acoustics tonearm damper. While I’ve yet to install it, it is reputed to be one of the best enhancements to the SL-1200mk2 tonearm, which is fundamentally identical to your SL-1600mk2 tonearm.

My advice is to keep using your SL-1600mk2. It might just need a little TLC (clean/lube the spindle, rewire the tonearm with litz tonearm wire, treat it to a new mid/high compliance cartridge, new interconnects and maybe the KAB fluid damper).
sleepwalkder65
It might just need a little TLC (clean/lube the spindle, rewire the tonearm with litz tonearm wire, treat it to a new mid/high compliance cartridge, new interconnects and maybe the KAB fluid damper).
I had it serviced about two years ago, and it still moves like new.  I'll talk to my TT guy about the upgrades you mentioned.  Thanks.   

I am looking for a second TT.  My 1600 was part of my previous main system.  I'm setting up a dedicated listening room so I moved it there anticipating buying the G or GR.
I have two SL1200 mkIIs (one I bought new and one I refurbished with a new arm) plus a 1200GR in heavy rotation for the past six months. It’s a superb table and is more solid in imaging and bass, and quieter, than its predecessors. Cartridges include the Black (highly recommended) and several other Nagoakas, Stantons, Pickerings, Grados and Shures. But my favorite, and I HIGHLY recommend it, is a vintage Pickering XSV3000 (or 4000) and you can still get styli for these. Take a look at Wittsolutions on eBay for a wide selection of excellent vintage cartridges. You’ll save some money and be hard pressed to improve upon those MM designs and builds from the 70s and 80s.

And +1 on the KAB damper for SL1200mkIIs; it won't fit the GR as the arm gimbal bearing supports are considerably wider. Hopefully, KAB will make a new one that does.

The 1600mk2 is a great turntable, and if you are considering moving to a SL-1200xxx you will need to get used to picking up the tonearm at the end of play. That was one of the reasons I wanted a SL-1700mk2, because I’m lazy :-)