Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Oops, the place was correct, so year must have been 1982 and the model must have been the CS3. Who knows where the memories go?  The 3.5 was a major advancement; the amp arrangement would apply, and the results so much better.
tomthiel
Thank You for sharing a bit of history with us today. Agreed, there is nothing finer than a sweet pair of loudspeakers set- up properly for audition.
Happy Listening!
As Oblgny has already suggested the 3.5’s work best with the 12 dB boost compensating for the natural (and superior) sealed box roll off. Allowing the speakers bass extension that only much bigger and more expensive speakers are capable of. Though perhaps without the ultimate loudness those bigger, more expensive speakers can provide. Yes, the 3.5’s don’t dig below 4 Ohms, and the impedance actually rises at the lower frequency range, which should offset to some degree that rather large 12dB drain on the amplification. Still 12 dB is considerable draw. With their shallow cross-overs, under  powering this range can suck power further up into the critical mid range and even beyond. Enough power is required not only for ultimate loudness but for overall linearity and coherence. 

I wonder if anyone has tried the eq options on the full core Roon platform? This might be a modern inexpensive (free?) option/upgrade to the OEM eq? It would at the very least now offer balanced connection options. Furthermore, the full core Roon platform also offers room correction, which might alllow the bass boost to be customized to one’s room rather than to a theortical anechoic model. Such room correction could even offer consideration of different room placement. As in the customary positionig the room correction could negatively effect the all important direct sound to correct the reflected sound. But....if the speakers were placed directly against the back wall, the correction would be more uniform, and proved natural bass boost requiring less amplification demands.

Of course for the pure analog crowd this might be an anathema. I am still wondering how viable it would be to convert 2 single ended stereo OEM eq’s to mono balanced units particularly for those with digital phobias.
I have used a 31 ch. Equalizer, dbx1231, and been able to make some room corrections, of course within reason. These EQ have a balanced out, is that what you are wondering about using 2 EQ? By the way, in my experience, the mid range or higher did not suffer from using an under powered amp, at moderate loudness. 88 dB at 2 watts is plenty for a small room listening to instrumental music.
Small rooms can only handle so much volume before becoming overloaded, but 88 dB doesn’t really come that close to presenting the dynamic range of so much music. With appropriate amplification the 3.5’s are capable of presenting a much better presentation of this musical characteristic.
Thiel’s sensitivity ratings as presented, and as independently measured are accurate, but perhaps misleading/confusing. If one takes the actual impedance into consideration, the sensitivity decreases about 3 dB with each halving of impedance below 8 Ohms.