SAT Comparison

MF has kindly provided unidentified needledrops of 2 new versions of the SAT arm (incl one priced at $48K).
These can be found in the latest entries on his Analog Planet web page.

Listening to the first few seconds of each track on iPad speakers I found the “winner” (for me at least...) to be “1” followed by “3” then “2” with “4” the least preferred.

Just for fun, I invited my wife, who has no audio experience or interest whatsoever, who knew nothing about the files or the hardware or anyone else’s preferences, named her order of preference as 1-3-2-4, again listening to only the first few seconds of each file. Unlike myself she didn’t need 1-3/2-3 double checks she just identified them straight off. Impressive!

I wouldn’t be so rash as to assume that “1” was the most expensive “SAT” or that “2” was the original model.
(For the sake of the expensive model I would hope so! ;)
See what you think...

It’ll be interesting to know what the wildcard “4” turns out to be...

moonglum
Let's keep bumping this thread until Fremer reveals what tonearm was on what recording and how that contrasts with listener preferences.  I personally am far too jaded and lazy to listen for myself, but I am interested in how the $48,000-SAT will fare compared to others.  The price has got to be someone's definition of chutzpah.
I listened to the four tracks  on my mid-range system (Cambridge audio 851n, Plinius intergrated, and Sonus Faber Amati Tradition) and any differences I may have heard were very subtle at best.  I think it might be better if I tried to invest $48000 of my money in new audio input modules(ears),  new interconnect(nerves from ear to brain), and/or a new brain audio processing unit.  This way maybe I could hear the differences others are hearing.
 What you said is partly why I won’t bother to try. I am skeptical of trying to judge an analog sound via a digital process. 
Although I am in no way interested in purchasing said tonearms due to cost, it was fun to listen to these tracks and there are differences that I could hear with my computer audio headphone setup. I think the digitization affects the sound but does not obscure the comparisons in most cases.  I like that Fremer posts these files as it is an interesting/fun way to hear what differences show up between components and how that relates to the way other people put those differences into words.  It certainly informs the way Fremer describes what he is hearing.  
Hemondoc,
I’d been eagerly waiting for someone with the internet hooked up to a half-decent system to comment but that wasn’t quite the answer I expected LOL!

Like Lew says, we’re keen to know the answers from MF.
I think that he has shut down access to the links so they are no longer viable (but I could be wrong?)

Watch this space....