Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
:)) I am fascinated long time ago with fro. But I am glad that you noticed. Stay tuned. : ))

Acman, glad to see you back!
Can never get enough Sonny.  pjw, Sonny had a penchant for picking show tunes that one would usually not think to be good vehicles for improvisation. “I’m An Old Cowhand” is a favorite; thanks. Here’s another:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n6U7PY89bv8

As in “Cowhand”, on this set Sonny shows why he was one of the few players who could play convincingly in a piano-less setting; amazing command of harmony. He was one of the pioneers of this very challenging format. One of my favorite records by Sonny:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0q2VleZJVEk03oGLxkxjZs-JGjm8fMu4
frogman, I have both those discs you posted the song links from.

When I first bought the live Village Vanguard disc I almost wore it out playing it. That was way back before I put my whole music library on my laptop in FLAC format. Over the last 5 years every time I buy a disc it I immediately rip it to my laptop then store it away in pristine condition.

Yes that Village Vanguard recording is a piano-less trio with Sonny out front, Wilbur Ware or Donald Baily on bass, and Pete La Roca or Elvin Jones on the drum kit. 

The funny thing is, on the 2 disc set that I have, Sonny introduces Donald Baily and Pete La Roca before the opening song on disc 1 (A Night In Tunisia), but nowhere on either disc does he introduce Wilbur Ware or Elvin Jones.
pjw, good catch and thanks for listing the personell.  My guess is that “Night I T” opened their sets; hence the introduction.  It makes a great opener.  The other tunes on the record are probably from further into the various sets.  Since the producers already had their preferred “N I T” for the record, we wouldn’t have the name intros from the sets with the other players.