Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Well, Sid Caesar, Steve Allen, Ernie Kovacs, and Groucho were the comedic heroes of my youth.  That explains a lot about my sense of humor today. ;^)
pjw& frogman
I own 2 lps by Sonny Rollins recorded at the Vanguard "A Night at The Village Vanguard" , a single lp and "More From The Vanguard" a double lp.In the liner notes it states that "A Night In Tunisia " was recorded the same evening (nov.3 1957) with a different personnel than W Ware and E Jones. Hence maybe the evening set started with Ware and Jones and when personnel shifted he decided to introduce Bailey and La Roca to the audience.
The double lp (also issued by Blue Note) has one cut "I've Got You Under My Skin" with Bailey and LaRoca as sidemen and it states this cut was recorded at the MATINEE PERFORMANCE on Nov. 3 1957 sunday. The other cuts on the 2-fer with Jones and Ware were recorded at the evening performance.
I also own a cd set" Complete Live At the Village Vabguard " which may have more liner notes but I need to locate it.
Thanks for the info, nsp.  I love these mysteries.  From “Allmusic.com”:

The recording that resulted documents two shows in the afternoon and evening of November 3, 1957. Rollins employed different bands for the two shows. The afternoon show sported Donald Bailey on bass and Pete (La Roca) Sims on drums and the only contribution to the whole by this band is the opening "Night in Tunisia." The remainder of the recording is all Wilbur Ware on Bass and Elvin Jones on Drums. the recently released rudy Van Gelder Edition is superior to all previous releases of this material. Included here is all of the pre-song banter showing a 27 year old Rollins wowing his crowd. Also, previously edited material is restored and situated in chronologic order
This from Wiki corroborates the above. Check out the “Track Listing” page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Night_at_the_Village_Vanguard