Speakers for.....every type of music?

I'm new to this site & first time poster. I am one of the guys that receives the emails every night, reads them and tries to be informed about this "hobby". A little background. I got into stereo early but never pursued it due to drumming, so I am only trying my best to keep up with you guys on this level. I have no gear like yours but keep a modest system that I have pieced together with whatever change I had. But I saw something interesting tonight on the popular discussions about a certain speaker not being a good "rock" speaker. So what do you recommend I think about when looking for speakers when I listen to everything? This is not a joke, I listen to almost every genre of music: classic, jazz, metal, thrash, world, easy listening, disco, you get the idea including vocal only. What say you fine gentlemen about my particular dilemma on your level? I am looking at used Advent & KEF speakers but will they fill my needs? I realize sound is a personal taste but in which direction might you think about?
vista1868
Welcome!

As far as listening to ALL kinds of music goes (that's me really, btw), how satisfied you might be in the long run may come down to how far out of your way, so to speak, you're willing to go and how far your willing to take things...that may be more true in the long run as you move forward in your quest in general.

But there are 2 things IMO:

1) The better the overall design of the speaker in ALL aspects, the better it will handle a wide variety of music genres.

2) Handling all music well will also come down to getting the bass right for whatever speakers you're considering in combination with your room.

But, 3 more things in the long run:

1) Getting the overall design of the speaker right at ALL levels can be technically rather challenging and so therefore these speakers at least tend to be more commonly found as you go up the price chain (though not necessarily always!). But, in speaker design world, getting ALL design parameters right enough for ALL music and then for the user to get them to behave right in the right room is perhaps The single, most difficult goal in this hobby. Not that it can't be done, it can, but it takes rather a lot of effort, dedication, trial and error and is not really ever the result of accident. But, all that is more of what might await you on down the road from where you might be currently, so it's not time to panic yet!

2) Among the highs, mids and lows, getting the lows right might consistently prove to be the hardest to get right in this hobby. 

3) Bass can come to deal with speaker design, EQ, room placement, room treatments, etc...lots of learning as you go, there.

Hopefully others here can make recommendations on particular speakers for you. I myself wound up making my own open baffle speakers a while back and haven't scoured the market lately, but people like Dahlquist DQ 10's on the used market...or Vandersteen 2CE's - both very good all-around performers.

Regards,
John

Thank you for responding John

Through reading a lot of posts about the above things, I've taken their advice & found that speaker wire does matter, etc. So I'm on my way to doing what I can to improve the experience including an equalizer that is set for room correction only. The bad news? Even with the eq settling everything, it's still only as good as the source material. So the proper cabling between the components is next bringing me closer to my desired goal..

It's not so much what you listen to, as opposed to what qualities you value as a listener.  I can listen to anything on my Tivoli radio with a 3" speaker and enjoy it.  But if you require the impact of a rock band at loud levels, it's not going to work.  Speakers can't be chosen in a vacuum.  What good is it to have speakers that can destroy a building if you live in an apartment where you can't turn them up?. So unless you lay out all the parameters and limitations you have regarding space, listening levels, amplification, etc, it's just an academic exercise.  And of course, there's always budget.  
I have nice, older equipment that sounds great to me with everything from prog rock, to jazz rock to classical. 

I can tell you what I have but I don't have experience with anything else so I can't help with comparisons.

My speakers are Aerial Acoustics 7B tower speakers. They handle all the types of music I listen to. They have rear facing bass ports so room position is important and it is quite possible to adjust speaker position to suit various types of music better....except that they weigh 130 pounds. I have done this but no longer do as I seem to have found a sweet spot.

I do not see many Aerial Acoustics speakers for sale used. Not sure if they are no longer popular or if people just hold onto them.

@ chayro

A year ago I thought that way, having a Kenwood capable of making my concrete floor thump but it lacked "grace", also it was able to be heard over my drums; Since then I picked up an old Sony receiver (made in Japan) capable of 85 watts & begin to enjoy the musical style I grew up with. There are Advent Maestro's down the road for sale but I've read by other consumers that they didn't get the "real" sound until that attached a 150 watt unit, so will my 85 watter be enough to make it sing? My db level currently sits at 55 so I'm not trying to make an impact crater in my room lol, just need speakers to fill the room with real sound. My room has a sweet spot now that I have recliner in, the room is a finished garage ( house built in the 30's ) so there is a lot of space for sound. Also contains my drum set & various living items, no window treatments, two walls facing outward, 4 (2 facing outward ) doors, etc. so it will be a challenge indeed. Thanks @n80 will keep that in mind as I stay on my journey.