Speakers for.....every type of music?

I'm new to this site & first time poster. I am one of the guys that receives the emails every night, reads them and tries to be informed about this "hobby". A little background. I got into stereo early but never pursued it due to drumming, so I am only trying my best to keep up with you guys on this level. I have no gear like yours but keep a modest system that I have pieced together with whatever change I had. But I saw something interesting tonight on the popular discussions about a certain speaker not being a good "rock" speaker. So what do you recommend I think about when looking for speakers when I listen to everything? This is not a joke, I listen to almost every genre of music: classic, jazz, metal, thrash, world, easy listening, disco, you get the idea including vocal only. What say you fine gentlemen about my particular dilemma on your level? I am looking at used Advent & KEF speakers but will they fill my needs? I realize sound is a personal taste but in which direction might you think about?
vista1868
My speaker of choice is Tannoy, my first pair came in 1971, 12" Monitor Golds. I somehow got away from them, and 8 or 9 years ago I decided it was time for a return. On Ebay UK, I bought a pair of HPD 315 drivers (ca 1975), with crossovers, then constructed a 150 liter pair of enclosures (bass-reflex with two 4" front facing ports). They are massively built, and weigh 192 lbs. each. Custom crossovers completed the project.

These play any type of music I choose to listen to equally well, In a large room. My opinion is that a full range speaker system should be designed to be able to play any music well, perhaps with the exception of very low bass, such as synth music, for that, you'd probably want substantial subwoofers.

Anyway, that's what's worked for me, though I must confess, I have two subwoofers in use as well, to augment that part of the music to couple better in my large room.

I hope you're able to find what will do the job for you. Best of luck, regards,

Dan
It is interesting that someone mentioned organ music and a subwoofer. I'm mostly a rock guy but I like a number of the more popular symphonies. I have a good CD recording of Saint Saenz organ symphony. When that organ hits the bass notes through my Aerial Acoustic 7Bs (no subwoofer) it shakes the room and the inside of your chest. It is almost uncomfortable even at modest volume. But, they're being driven by 250 watts. I had access to a large Bowers and Wilkins subwoofer but decided I did not need it.
Speaker design has probably improved more than anything else, with the possible exception of DACs, in the last 5 years. The latest Paradigm offerings, as well as the Sonus Faber Sonnettos, are outstanding. At the top, The Wilson Audio Sabrinas, Yvettes and Alexia 2s are stunning.
I appreciate all the comments fellows, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. n80, that will be in my cd player soon to give my system the test (with a new cable) for good measure. The quest continues!!
I suggest that you listen, listen, and listen. Keep notes on what you like and what you don't. And why. And don't listen to the price tag - by that, I mean that hyped stuff isn't always the best value - you don't have to be the one who pays for the advertising.

Don't be afraid to audition the high end. You might as well find out what can be done with big bucks, and maybe you can get close enough within your budget. I did that with Magneplanar Tympani !a's of blessed memory, and cheap homemade electronics, in 1973. Think ESL's and Magnepan as well as box speakers.

And if you can't hear a difference, don't pay for it. That goes for source, amp, speakers, and cables. And don't bite when someone says, "Oh, it just needs to be broken in." Suggest that he break it in and show you.

It's a great hobby, but it's easy to pay too much. I've been at it for 50 years, and eventually, I learned to listen, listen, listen before I bought.

Good luck!