‘modern’, ‘mainstream’ speakers—too many models converging towards too similar a sound

Over the last year I’ve auditioned a good number of speaker makes and models.  Through this process, I developed a kind of shorthand for myself to describe a particular kind of sound profile that I kept encountering, one that I came to call modern/mainstream.

Here’s the kind of speaker I’m talking about: typically a floorstander, fairly tall, narrowish baffle, deeper than it’s wide, tweeter on top, midrange, two or three 7” woofers.  It’s a design you’re going to encounter again, and again, and again.  Dynaudio, Quad, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber, and many, many others.  (Not picking on those five—just for illustrative purposes).  It’s also a design that tends to come from large companies, some of them conglomerates, and one which consequently finds its way into more stores and more people’s consciousness because of the larger distribution and publicity networks involved.

And the sound.  Highly competent across the board, tending to the more detailed rather than the more forgiving, treble range quite prominent, decent but not incredible bass extension, more than acceptable imaging and soundstaging, perhaps the vaguest hint of a mechanical or electronic veil.  And above all, kind of unexceptional and unexciting.  They can range all over in price, and they don’t really sound that dissimilar one from another.  They are converging towards that single ‘modern’, ‘mainstream’ sound profile that’s becoming a norm.  It’s a safe design, with an acoustic presentation that many people these days seem to prefer or at least accept (or have been conditioned to believe is ‘correct’).  Being fairly narrow, it integrates well into many domestic environments, and the styling usually ensures a decent measure of SAF.

While there are still many individualists out there in the audio world, and the speaker design world in particular, this is a general trend that I lament, because I see it expanding and being more entrenched.

128x128twoleftears
Same trend in cars. All identical. all only a few shades between black and white, on the grey scale. no bright colors, except the one mandatory red.                   
It is called marketing. And what happens when the bean counters rule the company. There are still a LOT of small unique companies selling a variety of unique speakers. particularly OUTSIDE the USA.
There's all kinds of ways of managing edge diffraction! On narrow speakers the time delay is virtually insignificant and it's really only a problem in the treble region. There are simple solutions to that problem too. Lenses, damping, horns of some sort. It's just technically convenient to drive the diffraction problem up the spectrum because higher frequencies are easier to manage. 

Kosst_amojan wrote: "There’s all kinds of ways of managing edge diffraction! On narrow speakers the time delay is virtually insignificant and it’s really only a problem in the treble region... It’s just technically convenient to drive the diffraction problem up the spectrum because higher frequencies are easier to manage. "

I think you have a misconception. It sounds like you think diffraction can be limited to high frequencies by using a narrow baffle. This is not the case. What a narrow baffle does is, it reduces the time delay between the arrival of the non-diffracted direct sound and the arrival of the diffracted sound.

(One thing a narrow baffle does do is, it raises the "baffle step" frequency, which is the frequency at which the baffle’s face no longer acts like a 180-degree horn. Perhaps this is what you were thinking of?)

I think a brief explanation of how the time delay of a diffracted signal impacts imaging is called for. Apologies in advance for getting technical here; to anyone who dislikes technical discussion, please avoid the next paragraph:

The ear derives directional cues primarily from the first .68 milliseconds of a signal. This is the time it takes for sound to travel about nine inches, and correlates to the distance around the head from one ear to the other. Diffraction or reflections arriving within that first .68 milliseconds tend to degrade the imaging because the ear gets a false secondary early-arrival cue that normally would correlate with sound that had reached one ear first and then travelled around the head to the other ear, diffraction’s time delay mimicking the arrival at the second ear. A small time delay (narrow baffle) would correspond to a smaller false angle for this false cue, while a larger time delay (wide baffle) would correspond to a larger false angle. So with a narrow baffle, the false cues are not as drastic. This is why, all else being equal, a narrow baffle generally has better imaging than a wider baffle. If the baffle is wide enough that NO reflections occur within that first .68 milliseconds, then the imaging should be excellent (which is what happens with precisely flush-mounted studio main monitors).

Diffraction has other negative effects which are beyond the scope of this post.

Kosst also said: "There are simple solutions to that problem too. Lenses, damping, horns of some sort."

I don’t know what you mean by "lenses" in this context.

Damping material has virtually no ability to absorb a sound wave travelling parallel to its surface; the sound wave has to strike the damping material at an angle in order to be absorbed by it. And the damping material has to be thick enough relative to those frequencies to absorb them effectively. If we want effective absorption the sound must strike the damping material at an angle, and if we want absorption down low enough in frequency then the damping material must be fairly thick in both width and depth.  A thick felt donut can help in the highs, but isn't going to do much in the mids. 

Assuming the horn itself is not a source of diffraction (most are), in order for a horn to have good radiation pattern control down low enough to usefully minimize cabinet edge diffraction, it must be fairly large... and now we’re back to having a wide baffle again, especially once we factor in the fairly large-radius lips the horn will need to avoid diffraction at its mouth. This is actually the technique that I use, but the result is not a narrow baffle.

Of the techniques you mention, aggressive use of damping material (combined with a small enough midrange driver to get enough damping material between edge of driver and edge of enclosure) sounds to me like the most promising for effectively minimizing diffraction in a relatively narrow-baffle speaker. I do not recall ever seeing this approach on any narrow tower speaker, probably because it would run counter to the primary purpose for using the narrow tower format in the first place: Aesthetic appeal.

Duke

@twoleftears; Great post and excellent thread! Coming a little late to the thread, but not at all to your observation. I should’ve posted this myself, it has been bugging me too. Yup, lifestyle engineering at its finest alright. Lately I was in Charlottesville and popped into Crutchfield to see what they had and to give a listen. My first time there. Lots of pairs in the audition room in the $300 to $10k range. My notes literally tally with yours, right down the line. Yes, they’re not set up correctly, but somehow, it was still clear to me that there might be a lot that would not come through with any of them...I could tell, if you know what I mean. I didn’t post about it, because I knew everyone would say I wasn’t hearing them at their best, but still, if you’ve been at this hobby awhile, a turd (with some study) can end up being pretty hard to camouflage, no matter how polished it is. Hate to say it that way, makes me sound like a complete cynic, but, it’s even sadder to me that this is now becoming, as you and Duke are saying here, standard fare. Uber-over-engineered 7" woofers designed to fit as many of them as possible into the smallest possible footprint cabinet...and I saw and heard evidence of small frequency range manipulations (audiophile trickery) in order to create a "house sound"...one example (can’t remember which now) had a deliberately rolled off top end in oder to sculpt cymbals into sounding as if they had more body. Later, I came to find out that the maker doesn’t even post a number for the top end response at all! Nice enough tweeter to go plenty high enough - just rolled off on purpose...!

@audiokinesis; Thank you Duke, for your very clear explanations - they’re very illuminating for me! I’m indebted to you for that.

Regards,
John
Many manufacturers are using same design tools a good num are having speakers manufactered in the same country at the same facilitys or are sourcing from same. Manufactures must consider shipping costs thus its a top priority in design same with packaging how many per pallet and weight really maters. Also buyers expect a certain look sound and size in speaker systems this they have been preconditioned to accept what they now want is what is profitable to make. And so many today are just offering safe easy to sell and ship designs that tend to be more alike then differant.