Why Power Cables Affect Sound

I just bought a new CD player and was underwhelmed with it compared to my cheaper, lower quality CD player. That’s when it hit me that my cheaper CD player is using an upgraded power cable. When I put an upgraded power cable on my new CD player, the sound was instantly transformed: the treble was tamed, the music was more dynamic and lifelike, and overall more musical. 

This got me thinking as to how in the world a power cable can affect sound. I want to hear all of your ideas. Here’s one of my ideas:

I have heard from many sources that a good power cable is made of multiple gauge conductors from large gauge to small gauge. The electrons in a power cable are like a train with each electron acting as a train car. When a treble note is played, for example, the small gauge wires can react quickly because that “train” has much less mass than a large gauge conductor. If you only had one large gauge conductor, you would need to accelerate a very large train for a small, quick treble note, and this leads to poor dynamics. A similar analogy might be water in a pipe. A small pipe can react much quicker to higher frequencies than a large pipe due to the decreased mass/momentum of the water in the pipe. 

That’s one of my ideas. Now I want to hear your thoughts and have a general discussion of why power cables matter. 

If you don’t think power cables matter at all, please refrain from derailing the conversation with antagonism. There a time and place for that but not in this thread please. 
128x128mkgus
tobor007
"A 2014 study published in Science Translational Medicine (Harvard medical school) explored placebo effect by testing how people reacted to migraine pain medication. The researchers discovered that the placebo was 50% as effective as the real drug to reduce pain after a migraine attack."

That percentage would pretty much cover the " significant" difference some people are hearing
This is a red herring. The "significant" differences many audiophiles report hearing happen to those who are pretty sure in advance that they actually won't hear any difference. Many real audiophiles start as skeptics, but are willing to experiment. (Of course, some audiophiles claim to be skeptics, but won't experiment with things such as power cables. Those aren't genuine skeptics.)
“Now, having no credibility is a problem. But admitting that you have that problem isn't going to help no matter how many steps are in the program.That ship has sailed.”

n80, well said. Its very ignorant to think all high end equipment manufacturers with access to excellent test equipment are stupid and have no clue there’s a huge market for aftermarket power cords. 

rickjamesdj, I see no one responded to your very valid question. As one person mentioned, the contribution to sound quality, if any, is most likely due to lower noise floor by providing better shielding from EMI and RF from companion equipment. In my experience, a dedicate line is a lot more effective than a better power cord. As for using conditioners, many suggest plugging right into the wall especially if a dedicated line is available.
stevecham3,001 posts12-17-2018 11:30amThe propogation of electronic signals through wire happens by way of electric fields, not photons. The electons move relatively slowly while the electric fields propogate at light speed.

>>>>I like that you keep coming back for more. The electronic signals are propagated as electromagnetic waves. Didn’t I just explain that? Electric fields are a different animal. Your Piled Higher and Deeper (PhD) assuming you have one which I am actually starting to doubt must not have been physics or electronics. 😬

For those of you who have already reached your power cord decisions, there’s a limited time opportunity on A’gon which will end in just a few days…

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis986gg-matthew-bond-audio-analog-reference-interconnect-cable-in...

Sure they’re $24k but that’s for a PAIR and includes free GROUND shipping. You won’t believe the sound these cables are capable of producing! "It started with an earthquake-like rumble in the sub-frequencies, then exploded with midrange ferocity and peaked with piercing sustained highs!"  Never leave receipts where your wife can see them….

kosst_amojan1,854 posts12-17-2018 3:43am@geoffkait

Sorry, but the electrons are moving and it’s not accurate to say that their agregate motion equals null motion. Photons are the force carrier that move them and that’s extremely important, but the motion of the electrons is what’s really going on on. All one needs to do is understand how a BJT transistor works. The mechanism of their operation is the physical motion of electrons between differently doped regions. A P doped regions doesn’t have photon holes. It has electron holes. The physics of a transistor are dictated by the motion of electrons.

>>I automatically defer to you when it comes to doping. 😵 But seriously, I know all about artificial atoms, thank you very much, which have precious little to do with signal propagation through wire. Nice try at diversion, however, and trying to present yourself as very knowledgeable. It will be our little secret. 🤭