Magicos are chesty

admit it.

E
erik_squires
Erick_Squires
I have said this about all the Magico's I've heard other than the M1 I think it was.  I too agree that many are told that this is what music sounds like.   

That's really interesting, @cstooner , because when I posted my S1 Mk II review I got nothing but hate mail. You and @prof are the first who have shared my experience. 

Of course, to your own ears be true, you should buy what you like, but I thought it curious that during the Magico demo they allowed voices and piano for only a short period. 

Best,
E

E, most think I"m a Vandersteen shill, so I have tried to stop posting my personal feelings on speakers since I feel too many companies tell folks what is correct. They demo with only songs that show their gear in the best light. Some take advantage of the net adn sell direct. They give GREAT deals to a specific number of posters and then inundate the sites with 'review's of their gear.  Many know these companies well. 

IT's all good. As you said, we all hear differently and like what we like.  I have a couple of good friends who sell Magico and make a nice living off of them.  They don't own them for their personal rigs though.  

Peter is one of the best salesmen in the business. He helped build the Krell name to what it was and is doing the same at Magico.  Nothing wrong with that.

If this is your favorite color, go for it. If not, there are a few out there who have made different trade offs that some will like better (like me).  As long as we are discussing all of this and buying, we can keep our hobby going forward.  :)  Pete
ctsooner
Many speakers are lacking in the power range (lower-midrange). The Vandersteen are notoriously weak at that region (Even JA concluded his review of your speakers with: “I remain puzzled by that lack of lower-midrange energy…”). So yes, real music does sound full at that area, and if you are not used to it, objectively “properly design” loudspeakers, like the Magicos may sound “chesty” (or should we say “full”) to you.

Eric,
To suggest that Magico does not use vocal and piano in their demos is pretty weak. Makes we wonder if you ever been to such a presentation.
@shadorne
My guess is you are hearing the sound of the polypropylene plastic bucket that houses the midrange. 

Well, it certainly IS in that range. Are you guessing about the Magico's midrange construction or is that known?

Best,
E
More specifically you should say Magico S series speakers are chesty

@folkfreak

I defer to your experience. It's true, I've only really heard the S series, but your progression and description sounds like a well planned product development strategy.

God I am so tempted to hack a pair. :) If only I had a bazillion dollars to blow on taking apart a speaker whose crossover I'm going to completely rework.

What a waste of money that would be!

E

@eric_squ

God I am so tempted to hack a pair. :) If only I had a bazillion dollars to blow on taking apart a speaker whose crossover I’m going to completely rework.

LOL, I suggest you call up Magico and offer your help...

Well, it certainly IS in that range. Are you guessing about the Magico's midrange construction or is that known?

The genius you are, you should know that the S1 being a 2-way, will have no midrange enclosure…

More to discover