Magicos are chesty

admit it.

E
erik_squires
ctsooner
Many speakers are lacking in the power range (lower-midrange). The Vandersteen are notoriously weak at that region (Even JA concluded his review of your speakers with: “I remain puzzled by that lack of lower-midrange energy…”). So yes, real music does sound full at that area, and if you are not used to it, objectively “properly design” loudspeakers, like the Magicos may sound “chesty” (or should we say “full”) to you.

Eric,
To suggest that Magico does not use vocal and piano in their demos is pretty weak. Makes we wonder if you ever been to such a presentation.
@shadorne
My guess is you are hearing the sound of the polypropylene plastic bucket that houses the midrange. 

Well, it certainly IS in that range. Are you guessing about the Magico's midrange construction or is that known?

Best,
E
More specifically you should say Magico S series speakers are chesty

@folkfreak

I defer to your experience. It's true, I've only really heard the S series, but your progression and description sounds like a well planned product development strategy.

God I am so tempted to hack a pair. :) If only I had a bazillion dollars to blow on taking apart a speaker whose crossover I'm going to completely rework.

What a waste of money that would be!

E

@eric_squ

God I am so tempted to hack a pair. :) If only I had a bazillion dollars to blow on taking apart a speaker whose crossover I’m going to completely rework.

LOL, I suggest you call up Magico and offer your help...

Well, it certainly IS in that range. Are you guessing about the Magico's midrange construction or is that known?

The genius you are, you should know that the S1 being a 2-way, will have no midrange enclosure…

Hey @sciencecop
LOL, I suggest you call up Magico and offer your help...

Oh no, I am 100% sure they are choosing their tonal balance carefully.

If I hacked it would be to see if I could make the S line sound like the M line. :)

To suggest that Magico does not use vocal and piano in their demos is pretty weak. Makes we wonder if you ever been to such a presentation.

I’ve heard exactly one. At the Magico factory of the S1 Mk II. And yes, the vocal and piano was a lot shorter than all other music. Was it deliberate, do they do it all the time, I have no idea. But I present to you my sample size.

The genius you are, you should know that the S1 being a 2-way, will have no midrange enclosure…

I did not make that claim, so you’ll have to ask the original poster about that.

And this is one reason why I doubt plastic in the mid range is the cause. However, it’s not just about material but construction. You can make plastic non-resonant at certain frequencies if the 3D construction is done right.

What I find most interesting really is that the S, (a 2 way, shares this characteristic with a 3-way. Usually you have to compromise in some way with a 2 way and a 6" driver. Often you need to add a little extra bass somewhere to make it sound balanced, which is fine so long as you don’t directly compare it to a multi-way full ranger.

So, when I heard the S1, I thought "Huh, that is an interesting compromise."

But when I heard the S3 it made me think this is a design choice.

Also, I’d discourage you from using cynical ad hominem attacks here.Save it for social media.

More to discover