Are DAC's overpriced?

External DAC's are pretty expensive imho... BUT I don't know that much on how to choose one. I want mostly cd's in my small two channel system... I am rebuilding after selling my Logans and Mac amp to go back to "drivers"! The Logans wore me out with Maintenance.  Should I buy a new cd player or get a new DAC for my old player?  
128x128captbeaver
Looking for a DAC based on the chip is fraught with problems.  SQ is  more affected by the implementation than the chipset.

I did a shootout of several chips a few years ago and I didn't like the switched-capacitor sound of the AKM chips.  The only chip I ever disliked.  I would avoid those.

Steve N.
Burr-Brown PCM1704U-J and PCM1704U-K are vintage R2R chips that people seem to prefer to the currently ubiquitous ESS Sabre chips.

The Burr-Browns were something like $20 each at one time.
I learned that many of these so-called vintage chips only support 16/44.1 Redbook rates. Not saying they’re bad, just saying they were designed for CD players as opposed to support the current hi-rez content at higher rates such as 24/96 or 24/192. Lots of folks prefer them over the ESS chips more targeted for hi-rez playback.Your ears/brain is the best judge.
@audioengr

The Oppo 203 uses AKM 4458’s , should people avoid that? As you said, implementation is everything, which is why the Benchmark DAC3 using the ESS 9018 still outclasses cheeped products using the better 9038 (of course this is measurement wise, they audibly won’t be too different).
Under $500, buy a schiit bifost multibit.
Under 2 k, buy a Chord  2qute or Qutest.
It will make a difference, how much is up to ur ears......it is relative.
Good luck.