Why Power Cables Affect Sound

I just bought a new CD player and was underwhelmed with it compared to my cheaper, lower quality CD player. That’s when it hit me that my cheaper CD player is using an upgraded power cable. When I put an upgraded power cable on my new CD player, the sound was instantly transformed: the treble was tamed, the music was more dynamic and lifelike, and overall more musical. 

This got me thinking as to how in the world a power cable can affect sound. I want to hear all of your ideas. Here’s one of my ideas:

I have heard from many sources that a good power cable is made of multiple gauge conductors from large gauge to small gauge. The electrons in a power cable are like a train with each electron acting as a train car. When a treble note is played, for example, the small gauge wires can react quickly because that “train” has much less mass than a large gauge conductor. If you only had one large gauge conductor, you would need to accelerate a very large train for a small, quick treble note, and this leads to poor dynamics. A similar analogy might be water in a pipe. A small pipe can react much quicker to higher frequencies than a large pipe due to the decreased mass/momentum of the water in the pipe. 

That’s one of my ideas. Now I want to hear your thoughts and have a general discussion of why power cables matter. 

If you don’t think power cables matter at all, please refrain from derailing the conversation with antagonism. There a time and place for that but not in this thread please. 
128x128mkgus
I find the better the equipment, the MORE that equipment responds well to a better power cord, better wall AC duplex.            
Back when I had $2000 a pop electronics, I could barely tell the differences in power cords. When I jumped to $5000 a pop for equipment, and added a $3500 power conditioner, it became easier to hear the differences.           
Now with a $14,000 pair of speakers, and a lot of AC improvements, I can hear the change of moving one power cord plug from a Gold plated Furutech GTX to the Rhodium one. 
This is the difference of actual experience instead of fantasy theory, and the failure to realize: "Gee if I can't hear it, no one can" is not true.
@elizabeth ,
Well said. 

There has to be a stop put to the notion that there is some kind of cut off point where there's junk that benefits from the use of better cords and conditioners and above that, everything is perfect and won't. That's way too simplistic an argument and not at all in standing with what's been observed.

All the best,
Nonoise
@atmasphere
 I’ve seen a power cord make a difference of nearly 30% of output power out of a power amplifier. I could also see that that was caused by a voltage drop across the power cord.
and
You can measure differences in output power, output impedance and distortion on many power amps just by changing the power cord- and many of these differences are simply caused by voltage drop.
and finally,
There is more to it than voltage drop though. It also has to do with bandwidth of the power cord.......
 My questions are not whether a power cord can affect the sound of an amplifier (or other gear) since I have heard the differences, but rather,
1. What characteristics of a power cord would affect voltage (i.e., cause a voltage drop) - is that primarily a function of resistance and wire gauge, or something else, and
2. What characteristics of a power cord would affect bandwidth?  
@nonoise

There are dozens of sites that measure gear, going from budget to the best there is, find me the measurements of any competent gear that has harmonic distortion every 60Hz (or 50Hz for most non-Americans). In fact, the only measurements I have seen of mains leakage is in devices that are supposed to clean up signals/wattage, like the Wyrd4Sound Remedy Reclocker, it needs a linear power supply or else it just leaks power supply noise (shouldn’t be bought anyway as it doesn’t reduce jitter in any normal use case, only if you have like a 30ft fun and need a repeater, but even then it’s overpriced).
I've been a believer from many moons ago but my latest power cord for my subwoofer totally changed my systems SQ for the better and it wasn't subtle. Like the OP I just want to know why this happens but after reading this thread I guess the one that was on the subwoofer before was indeed letting noise through. Great info and I've learned a lot from many on this thread.  New PC was just over a c-note.