Why Power Cables Affect Sound

I just bought a new CD player and was underwhelmed with it compared to my cheaper, lower quality CD player. That’s when it hit me that my cheaper CD player is using an upgraded power cable. When I put an upgraded power cable on my new CD player, the sound was instantly transformed: the treble was tamed, the music was more dynamic and lifelike, and overall more musical. 

This got me thinking as to how in the world a power cable can affect sound. I want to hear all of your ideas. Here’s one of my ideas:

I have heard from many sources that a good power cable is made of multiple gauge conductors from large gauge to small gauge. The electrons in a power cable are like a train with each electron acting as a train car. When a treble note is played, for example, the small gauge wires can react quickly because that “train” has much less mass than a large gauge conductor. If you only had one large gauge conductor, you would need to accelerate a very large train for a small, quick treble note, and this leads to poor dynamics. A similar analogy might be water in a pipe. A small pipe can react much quicker to higher frequencies than a large pipe due to the decreased mass/momentum of the water in the pipe. 

That’s one of my ideas. Now I want to hear your thoughts and have a general discussion of why power cables matter. 

If you don’t think power cables matter at all, please refrain from derailing the conversation with antagonism. There a time and place for that but not in this thread please. 
128x128mkgus
The *velocity* of all the audio frequencies are changed equally when the temperature changes in the room. Be that as it may who would listen in a room that’s 60 degrees or 80 degrees, anyway? Answer at 11. Even if the temperature was 60 or 80 degrees the sound would be about the same as at 70. Mystery solved.
My apartment is ALWAYS at 80F. 79F is ’too cold’. In the Summer, it can be 83F easy.. Maybe even 85F.. no problem. I am a Florida sort..
Even though I live in the North. Geoff already knew that...
I know mzk-etc cannot fathom my question. No problem dude. I forgive you.
To throw something else out there, on many occasions Ralph (Atma) has noted that balanced equipment lessens the need of expensive interconnects. Does the same go for power cords? I run differential components sans the power amps. Entire system runs on Equi-Tech and BPT for AC. For the longest used Mcintosh MC60s with captive power cords and was advised not to change them. Upgrade (I hope) is coming.
Power cords will be needed. Does my balanced power relieve somewhat the need to go high end on the power cords?

@dentdog  

For interconnects, balanced does result in a few dB lower noise floor/distortion, anywhere from 1dB to 10dB usually (depends on the gear used).
dentdog                                            
I have a 23 ft (7 meter) length from preamp to amp. XLR. and yes I can easily hear the differences in the cables I have used for it. Years ago, Kimber PBJ. Then  about 9 years ago Kimber Hero. Four years ago a complete fail of Cadas Parsec. (great at 1 meter, terrible at 7m) Then home made with Kimber wire, then two years ago i went for a $3,200 Kimber KS1116 XLR pair. best sound by far.              
And I am upgrading power cords and can hear each type as I upgrade. Your experience may vary. But all of it is hyped, both for and against. Sadly, you just have to figure it out on your own. Best advice... Use your OWN EARS. decide for yourself.