Which area of components to spend the most $ on? Boy I was wrong all my life!

I have been an audio junkie for about 25 years. All those years, I have read plenty of discussion posts and recommendations where to spend the most money on. The majority, even the experts recommend to spend the most money on speakers. Up to as high as 60% of the total budget.Example: CEO of PS Audio-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYwL7vPkPhg
I believed this all my life. Today, my eyes are opened. My total budget is about $15K.Before today, my system was:Speakers-Revel F36 Concerta 2 (For the money, this is the best speakers I’ve heard. I like it more than my previous Dynaudio Contour 30)Integrated Amp-Marantz PM-10 (Class D, balanced, 400wpc at 4ohms)CD Player-Oppo UDP 205 & Marantz CD 6005 (Some of the best in class)Line conditioner-Furman Elite PFi 15Cables-Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables (Sorry, not a cable nut. I’d rather spend money elsewhere)
I upgraded my front end CD player to... Marantz SA-11S3. I was BLOWN away! This is the greatest upgrade I have ever heard in my life. For 25 years, I was taught to spend the most in speakers. Sorry! It’s the FRONT END! The best source you can afford. The purity transcends down the river. I am blown away by the sheer improvement in detail, clarity, depth, the air around the instruments.
My philosophy has changed.
skimrn
Case in point...I was looking for a bit more clarity and presence from my system , but I was not going down the rabbit hole again for the 100th time!  Been burned big time on some of my costlier cable solutions in the past, so this time I set my sites on value, quality and good design.  I looked around quite a bit and came across the new Audioquest Water XLR Interconnects. Based on some reviews they sounded like what I needed.  Coincidentally, there was a new pair for sale on Agon for just over $300....list is like $549 or more depending on length of course.  I’m running them in now and have found them to be amazingly full, warm and clear with great dynamic swing.  Highs sound cleaner without loosing the bottom end weight of my MIT’s.  Midrange is a bit livelier and expressive as well.  A really world class Interconnect for a steal, even at list price.  I’ve had $12k interconnects that were honestly not any better, and lots of $4k - $6k offerings that were worse!
Unless you have an endless supply of money, building a system is a process based on ones listening preference and ears. I purchased a couple amps before I ended up with the one that fits me. Same with the CD player, turntable and speakers. I worked on my cables & conditioning from there. It’s been a fun ride and I continue to make tweaks here and there, albeit it minor.
Great discussion overall.  It's kind of like junk in junk out.  Surprised you would ever waste your money on a Marantz.  That's certainly not audiophile quality.  
30% source analog / Digital
30% electronics30% speakers10% cablesI auditioned speakers. What I liked, I decided on and asked how much?Took that number and multiplied by 3 and auditioned the rest. I was learning as I listened in the sound room and discovered my preferences in sound trying to balance out what I heard at concerts taking into account my preferred seating placement. Not up close to the stage nor too bright in the equipment. I like to hear the auditorium as well the room being a part of the auditory event.Taking all the variables into account I still enjoy what I'm hearing. I get lost in the emotional aspects of the music. My favorite songs still make me feel good as I did when I was younger. I don't get bored or feel that my system is getting stale. I still go to concerts and try to refresh my hearing memory and when I get home the first thing I is put on the event's music.

When people first approach this hobby they tend to learn and accept it as a considerable number of rules...with maybe a few exceptions. After they've been at it a few decades they tend to accept it as a considerable number of exceptions...with maybe a few rules.