Turntable got absolutely crushed by CD

Long story short, i've just brought home a VPI classic 1 mounted with a Zu-Denon DL103 on JMW Memorial 10.5 with the appropriate heavier counterweight. Had everything dialed in..perfect azimuth, VTF, overhang, with only a slightly higher than perfect VTA. Levelling checked. All good. 

I did a comparison between the VPI and my Esoteric X03SE and it's not even close. The Esoteric completely crushes the VPI in all regards. The level of treble refinement, air, decay, soundstage depth and width, seperation, tonality, overall coherence is just a simply a league above from what I'm hearing from the VPI. The only area the VPI seems to be better at is bass weight, but not by much. 

I'm honestly quite dumbfounded here. I've always believed that analogue should be superior to digital. I know the Esoteric is a much pricier item but the VPI classic is supposed to be a very good turntable and shouldn't be a slouch either. At this point I feel like I should give up on analogue playback and invest further in digital. 

Has anyone had a similar experience comparing the best of digital to a very good analogue setup?

Equipment:
Esoteric X03SE 
VPI Classic, JMW Memorial 10.5, Zu-DL103
Accuphase C200L
Accuphase P600
AR 90 speakers

Test Record/CD:
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing (Redbook vs MOV 180g reissue)

chadsort
I also have performing and listening experience to live music.  I sing and perform with a 50+ orchestra in Los Angeles.  I've reviewed classical music for the UCLA Daily Bruin from row 10 as rows 1 and 2 had a bright, forward sound that I didn't like.  I swapped seats with concertgoers-they wanted to be up front and I wanted the best sound.
fleschler
geoffkait No, no, no. Some high end audiophile systems bring out the finest qualities of sound from all sources, including the worst sources. Sure, I’ve trashed many recordings LP, 78 and CD based on really poor sound quality. Now, my system is so good that it elevates the sound of once were mediocre recordings/masterings.

>>>>Just as I feared. My comments were completely misunderstood. What I am saying is the more media of any and all types one has in his house the worse the sound becomes, regardless of which media you’re playing at the time. My comments have nothing to do with favoring one media over another. It kind of aimed in you, actually, I admit, since I knew you have a ton of LPs and CDs. It’s the sort of thing, unless someone points it out, you think everything’s OK, even as you accumulate more and more. Trust me, everything is not (rpt not) OK. 😬

By the way, the musician argument no longer works on me ever since I had the displeasure of listening to the very expensive system of the first oboist of the National Symphony. Maybe it’s too loud in the orchestra pit or something. Yes, I know, musicians have perfect pitch. Yada, yada
The Classic1 paired with a Soundsmith Carmen was very uninspiring IME. It was mechanically noisy and didn't have any notable strenghts aside from the bass as mentioned by the OP. It couldn't produce that vinyl "magic." I moved onto a comparably priced table (cartridge too) and have been much happier. 

As for analog defeating digital, I've found that requires a very good record, preamp cart and turntable - no weak links. 
Dear @prof 1 : You but not really " read " because this is my first sentence I posted to you:

"""  Good that first of all you are a music lover. """

Second, you just does not read because like @fleschler  I normally seat at around 10 row.

Near field experiences is exactly that: experiences  and is what the micro pick up and I'm talking of recording in general not specific to classical venues that even here I own recordings with no ambience mics but only two and even one at near field position and in solo piano even inside the piano.
If you own some of the 3 blibd mice recordings you will read and see the mics diagram position that are almost inside eaxch instrument and with no ambience mics. The home audio system experience is an " illusion " and take that word literally.

One thing is what flesher says why he listen normally at 10 row like me and other different thing what the mics pick up..

Yes seated at 10 row things are way different and I already explained on my posts.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

rauliruegas,

""" Good that first of all you are a music lover. """

I'm sorry, I did in fact miss that first sentence.  Glad we are agreed there :)

Yes, it's well known that home stereo reproduction is an illusion.  All sound reproduction is a compromise of one sort or another, so we all pick our own via the criteria that means the most to us. 

I'm glad you have found a goal for your own journey.