Turntable got absolutely crushed by CD

Long story short, i've just brought home a VPI classic 1 mounted with a Zu-Denon DL103 on JMW Memorial 10.5 with the appropriate heavier counterweight. Had everything dialed in..perfect azimuth, VTF, overhang, with only a slightly higher than perfect VTA. Levelling checked. All good. 

I did a comparison between the VPI and my Esoteric X03SE and it's not even close. The Esoteric completely crushes the VPI in all regards. The level of treble refinement, air, decay, soundstage depth and width, seperation, tonality, overall coherence is just a simply a league above from what I'm hearing from the VPI. The only area the VPI seems to be better at is bass weight, but not by much. 

I'm honestly quite dumbfounded here. I've always believed that analogue should be superior to digital. I know the Esoteric is a much pricier item but the VPI classic is supposed to be a very good turntable and shouldn't be a slouch either. At this point I feel like I should give up on analogue playback and invest further in digital. 

Has anyone had a similar experience comparing the best of digital to a very good analogue setup?

Equipment:
Esoteric X03SE 
VPI Classic, JMW Memorial 10.5, Zu-DL103
Accuphase C200L
Accuphase P600
AR 90 speakers

Test Record/CD:
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing (Redbook vs MOV 180g reissue)

chadsort
The Classic1 paired with a Soundsmith Carmen was very uninspiring IME. It was mechanically noisy and didn't have any notable strenghts aside from the bass as mentioned by the OP. It couldn't produce that vinyl "magic." I moved onto a comparably priced table (cartridge too) and have been much happier. 

As for analog defeating digital, I've found that requires a very good record, preamp cart and turntable - no weak links. 
Dear @prof 1 : You but not really " read " because this is my first sentence I posted to you:

"""  Good that first of all you are a music lover. """

Second, you just does not read because like @fleschler  I normally seat at around 10 row.

Near field experiences is exactly that: experiences  and is what the micro pick up and I'm talking of recording in general not specific to classical venues that even here I own recordings with no ambience mics but only two and even one at near field position and in solo piano even inside the piano.
If you own some of the 3 blibd mice recordings you will read and see the mics diagram position that are almost inside eaxch instrument and with no ambience mics. The home audio system experience is an " illusion " and take that word literally.

One thing is what flesher says why he listen normally at 10 row like me and other different thing what the mics pick up..

Yes seated at 10 row things are way different and I already explained on my posts.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

rauliruegas,

""" Good that first of all you are a music lover. """

I'm sorry, I did in fact miss that first sentence.  Glad we are agreed there :)

Yes, it's well known that home stereo reproduction is an illusion.  All sound reproduction is a compromise of one sort or another, so we all pick our own via the criteria that means the most to us. 

I'm glad you have found a goal for your own journey.

The distinction between 'sound lovers' and 'music lovers' is totally artificial and not helpful at all. We can assume that the main reason for getting involved in this audio community is an interest in music. If not why bother? The other reason would be the personal discovery that the enjoyment of music increases with better sound quality. This affliction puts us in the peculiar minority group called audiophiles. I'm sure you're all aware that most people who love music (musicians included) couldn't care less about sound quality. But it's highly unlikely that people with an interest in sound quality couldn't care less about music. They'd get themselves another hobby if they didn't.

Suspension of disbelief can be a powerful experience and everyone on this forum is chasing that illusion. You can have alot of fun in the process, but going down this rabbit hole does kinda make you loose track of what it's really about. The difference between Audio Nirvana and Audio Nervosa is keeping in mind why you're in this game. 'It's the music, stupid'......

This is not an easy pursuit and after a while many disillusioned veteran audiophiles seek redemption, attempting to find their way back to the music and the emotional response it once triggered. Some may feel that their meticulously built system is the 'elephant in the room' (often literally so), standing between them and the music. They might feel betrayed and decide to downgrade or even loose interest in music completely. 

The persistent audio illusionist (that means us) might decide to keep changing around the components of the system or even maintain several systems at once with different strenghts for various types of music. Because they realize there's no such thing as 'one size fits all' in audio. This would only fuel more illusions, would it not? Digital illusion, analog illusion, tube illusion, horn illusion, dipole illusion, MC illusion, the list is endless and so are the debates.

Perhaps, but nature likes diversity, so why not take a cue from life? I'm sure the audio industry would be delighted.....